Radiator size question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm looking to revamp my cooling system here soon with a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, and such.

I've been having problems with it getting hot on the highway, and I want piece of mind too.

My truck has the 28 1/2" wide rad, but looking at spectra rads I saw the HD one a 34" width, could I easily upgrade to the larger one without any modifications?
I may have to relocate my charcoal canister but otherwise will it drop in and bolt up like stock?
Thanks.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I did on mine. I didn't have to move or relocate anything. You will need new hoses, fan shroud and the brackets that gold the radiator to the top of the core support on top. When I did mine I went as far a new water pump, and cutch fan. I had a real bad over heating problem especially in summer now in the hottest part of the year it rarely gets up to 190.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I did on mine. I didn't have to move or relocate anything. You will need new hoses, fan shroud and the brackets that gold the radiator to the top of the core support on top. When I did mine I went as far a new water pump, and cutch fan. I had a real bad over heating problem especially in summer now in the hottest part of the year it rarely gets up to 190.
Hmm not quite as drop in as I thought, I'd need a donor truck or a junkyard visit at least.
I might just throw in the stock replacement radiator and see what happens. I don't tow or haul often and it's not as hot here now so it should be okay, mine will just get up to 220ish and stay there and I don't like it.
Thanks for the reply.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doed your AC get good and cold? If your condenser fins are full of dust and bugs it will restrict air flow to the radiator and make the engine run warmer.

Colorado2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doed your AC get good and cold? If your condenser fins are full of dust and bugs it will restrict air flow to the radiator and make the engine run warmer.
Honestly I don't ever use my A/C. It is definitely bugged up and has some bent sections of fins.
I do want a new rad anyways though since my cooling system has some corrosion issues I'm trying to clean out and the old one is pretty nasty.
Edit: I'm sure it does block airflow to some degree, but I'm not sure how I'd go about fixing it.

Last edited:

SwatDawg15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did this on my 94 K1500. It came stock with the smaller rad. I installed the 34" wide with larger core. You need the upper brackets from a 96-98. also the longer shrouds. Got mine on ebay. upper and lower brand new for around 70 shipped. My hoses fit, but the hoses for the 34 are a little longer. Its worth the upgrade.