R and R carpet, cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was planning to replace the carpet in my truck('93 single cab Silverado, bench seat) but I think I will try cleaning it first.

I will remove it so I can get lay it on the driveway and scrub it well. Maybe even try the pressure washer.

What heavy duty cleaner do you guys like?

Any tips or tricks to remove it?

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Hang it on a chain link fence. Use a good cleaner like Simple Green. Scrub well and then take the power washer to it.

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
x2 on hanging it out. Mine was ridiculously disgusting when I bought it, so I hung it out, during summer, sprayed it down and scrubbed it with simple green multiple times over a couple of days. Then went at it with some random carpet cleaner from autozone that had a hard bristle brush top. Used a couple of my own brushes too. This last step was primarily for the stains, the simple green worked well for the stench.

My carpet has a rubber backing with some kind of undercarpet padding stuck to the bottom. I avoided getting the padding stuff too wet.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Blow the carpet out really good with compressed air first. If not, all that dry dust, dirt & crud will turn to mud as soon as you hit it with the water. Makes for a harder time to clean.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blow the carpet out really good with compressed air first. If not, all that dry dust, dirt & crud will turn to mud as soon as you hit it with the water. Makes for a harder time to clean.

I figured I would vacuum it well and hang it over the fence and knock it with a stick or something. The compressed air seems like a good plan, thanks.

About how long does it take to remove? Anything to do while it is out of the cab? Other than adding some sound deadening, already planning on that.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Pull the seats (Buckets & console will take longer than a bench) & the sill plates, plus whatever sound equipment you have.
Seems to me there's a module or two under the seats, too, that may also have to be removed.
Don't cut any wires! Anything that has to come out will have clips to release.
Shouldn't have to remove the kick panels.
Pull the carpet. Slowly. Try not to screw up the underlay too much. If there's any rust under there, the underlay will be sticking to it. Loosen it as you go with a putty knife.
Done.
Time? Maybe an hour?

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have floor shifted 4x4, the surrounding bezel will need to come out as well. I detailed at a couple dealerships after high school, and always gave everything a really good vacuum first, that will help get the bulk of the dirt out from the fibers. Hot water cleans better if available, like the other guys have said, give everything a soak with Simple Green or similar and hit the heavy spots with Tuff Stuff. At the dealerships we used BlueMax from CarBrite.com, about $15 for a gallon of concentrate, the stuff works miracles! Good luck. :)

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have an automatic, no 4WD, all stock, bench seat. I have removed the sill plates and seat belt reels so I am part way there already.

Appreciate the comments.