Questions on Traction Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fortrex

Reaction score
My truck is my daily driver, 98 ECSB 4.3, automatic, 10 bolt rear end with 3.42s and a lock right locker. 75% of my driving is done on dirt roads or trails, and often times it involves climbing steep hills with loose or rocky terrain. Since I've installed the locker traction is a lot better but I find now that when it does spin it gets some pretty bad wheel hop. I'm looking to eliminate it before I bust a u joint or do any other damage.

Now, the thing still has stock sized tires, 235/75/15s, as well as the stock suspension. It is certainly not a rock crawling flexing machine. It has air shocks in the rear, I only tow a couple times a year maybe. My only concern is that the traction bars might bind the suspension travel. I was planning on using the adjustable tractor lift arms, the kind with heim joints on either end. I would cut them in half and lengthen them too. Then weld mounts on the frame and the bottom of the axle. I'm a welder/metal fabricator by trade so getting the work done properly isn't an issue. I've been thinking about this method because I don't think my purposes necessitate a full on ladder bar or 4 link setup and it seems relatively easy.

So with stock suspension travel and relatively mild terrain will a set of traction bars bind up my suspension?

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
All traction bars bind up leaf sprung axle since the axle wants to swing back naturally and two fixed traction bars only go up and down. Now if you go with a torque arm like the off road guys use it mounts to a swing shackle that allows the axle to move as its intended. WFO sells one that has the shackle mount
http://www.wfoconcepts.com/cr/Torque-Arms/4140

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo