QUestion on master cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone. It's been a good while since I posted here. I am glad to see the site is still up and running. I have a question on master cylinders. My truck is a 1988 K1500, 5.7L, standard cab. I have been having some brake issues lately, the details of which I may go into if I can't solve the problem on my own. My question is this. When looking at the master cylinders on automotive parts websites, they always list two separate master cylinders for my truck. One is for the standard cab and the other is for the extended cab truck. The power brake boosters are also different. I have been able to determine that this has to do with the rear anti-lock braking system Chevy introduced that year. What is the difference, if one exists, on the two master cylinders? They look alike, but have different prices. If someone were to use the extended cab version on a regular cab truck, would it make a difference? Thank you in advance for your responses.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, according to Oreilly Auto Parts, Advance Auto Parts, and the local Gipe store the reason for the difference is because 1988 was the first year for the the rear ABS. Apparently, the standard cabs got the ABS, but the extended cabs still had the old system. They use different power brake boosters too. Externally, the master cylinders look the same, but they use different part numbers and there is a difference in the bore of each one. Whether or not that means they aren't interchangeable is what I am trying to find out.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
i have heard different prices but thats cuz one is new and the other is rebuilt. you got me on that one

X-Cutioner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a difference with the rear drums but not between the reg can and ext cab
there is a 10" and an 11" drum for our trucks
there is also an hd suspension that also makes a difference