Pushbutton 4WD Intermittent Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Push on the trim around the switches, see if the lights come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@AlohaOBS Update on this? Edge of my seat haha. Anyhow, I’m experiencing the same issue on my 97’ Z71 only mine will randomly work and when it does it works flawlessly the whole time the truck is running/operating then other times it’s just not on at all with backlight glowing. So I believe we are same/same on the issue. Preparing to pull the 4wd switches out tonight and dissect at work on the table.

Z71Brother

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Solved my own issue, but will add this to the thread for anyone who comes across looking for answers!

I removed the 4WD selector then removed it from the cover exposing the circuit board. I then spent some time drinking a good beer and cleaning the board up. Simply use some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol and I also took a very small file and filed on the connector tangs. Use some compressed air to blow it dry from any residue or dust. You will not be able to remove the board itself to access the backside as it’s soldered to the connector. I believe this helped a lot and is good routine maintenance, but the issue lies in the harness connector on the truck side not the switch. Simply pressing with my fingers on the backside made the light come on and functionality of the switch was 100% this lead to me pulling the harness through and dissecting the connector and basically redoing solder connections inside of itself. This solved the issue.

Don’t dig too deep and start with the easy stuff, hope this helps someone down the road.