Pulsation that won't go away... please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys,

I've had a pulsation in my truck anytime I put the brakes on which I thought for sure was from my brakes. I was convinced it was my rear brakes since you could see the bed shake when the brakes were applied. I had a mechanic friend of mine replace the rear drums and shoes for me since I was too busy to do it myself. AFter he replaced them the pulsation was still there and he said it felt to him as if it was the front rotors warped. I just today replaced my front pads and rotors and took it for a spin. The pulsation is almost completely gone but not really. It's way less severe than before but I can still feel it in the wheel when I apply the brakes. Now I'm stumped as to what it could be. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'd hate to keep throwing money chasing a problem when I clearly don't know what is causing it.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Have those rotors checked out by any brake place. My Tahoe had a terrible pulse that developed with practically new rotors, had the local shop turn them 10,000 miles ago and it still is as smooth as can be.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have those rotors checked out by any brake place. My Tahoe had a terrible pulse that developed with practically new rotors, had the local shop turn them 10,000 miles ago and it still is as smooth as can be.

That's good to know, how much did it cost to have them turned?? Seems a bit ridiculous new rotors would need to be turned though. Could wheel bearings or ball joints cause a pulsation?

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
If it only happens when you brake, I would say brakes. Most places charge next to nothing to turn rotors, and if they aren't warped they probably wont charge you anything. If you bring them to them that is. If you take the truck to them expect a little labor charge.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have seen some instances where the 88-94 rear abs valve causes pulsation in the brakes, just a thought for you.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have not rotated the tires recently. Draggin, how would I check to see if it's the rear abs causing my issue?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Rotate the tires. What is the condition of the front end parts(how sloppy is your steering?)?

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll give that a try, steering isn't very sloppy but the front end has original ball joints and I'm not sure when the tie rods and stuff were replaced last.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You would have to bypass the rear ABS valve, and you will also have a much firmer brake pedal.