Power windows only go up or down in small increments

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJM008

Reaction score
Both driver and passenger windows only go up or down in small increments. I searched for this problem and couldn't find any answers. the will go all the way up and down, I just have to keep pressing the buttons. Doesn't matter if i hold them down or not. I can hear the relays under dash clicking. I am hoping there is an easy fix, and one of you guys or gals can provide the solution.

*** Update I can roll the passenger side window all the way up and down with the passenger side control. The problem seems to be the Driverside control panel, or definately on that side. I ordered a control from amazon for pretty cheap... Hope it works!!!

Last edited:

AJM008

Reaction score
Update #2. Installed the new driverside controller, same problem. Both windows only go down or up in small increments. There is a relay panel somewhere under the dash, I hear it clicking. I think this will be the next area I look into. Any thoughts?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the wiring diagram for a 98:

You must be registered for see images attach

There doesn't look to be a relay. With ignition on, check for 12V across cavity L (yellow wire, circuit 343) and cavity C (black, 150) at the connector at the driver switch. Move the connector around, see if the voltage drops or fluctuates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJM008

Reaction score
Here's the wiring diagram for a 98:

You must be registered for see images attach

There doesn't look to be a relay. With ignition on, check for 12V across cavity L (yellow wire, circuit 343) and cavity C (black, 150) at the connector at the driver switch. Move the connector around, see if the voltage drops or fluctuates.

Thanks east302! Looking at the wiring diagram, there shouldn't be a relay, but i do hear the clicking. After going through it all, I found that the aftermarket clifford alarm has the smartwindow 4 attached, and this will stop the windows it it has any drag at all. I greases up the tracks with lithium grease and it still wont go all up or down. I did however get the passenger side to go al the way a couple times tday. I am now thinking it could be a weak motor. im going to figure out how to disable the smart windows module and then try the window on its own.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your motor could be getting worn...maybe drawing too much power and causing the smartwindow thing to think that someone's arm is in the way. I guess it has a relay in it to kill power and that's what you're hearing?

Yeah, removing it will probably resolve your issue.

AJM008

Reaction score
So after replacing the driver side motor and regulator, the window goes down all the way... but still goes up in small increments. It will go up all the way but only once in a while. Removing the smartwindow module, will fix it, but Clifford will not make it easy on me to bypass or remove the module. They told me to take it to a certified alarm tech to get it removed. I will be studying their installation instructions and try to remove it. Until then I can live with the current condition.