Possible short in OBD harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsnow36318

Reaction score
When I plug my scan tools into my truck, doesn't matter which one either the reader can't read the truck or the truck radio goes into a reboot loop, I shot some video so if anyone has any ideas I'm open to it all.
I have a USB elm 327 that will connect to the truck but the readings go back and forth from min to max every refresh.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have not had any luck using those transparent blue mini-ELM327 devices on any GM truck. I had to get the nicer one, at about twice the price (but still dirt cheap, about $22 shipped) from BAFX Products - get it straight from their site to avoid counterfeits.

Some people have had limited success making the blue ones connect to a GM truck but it seems kinda random.

Not sure if that's the problem in your case but it may be that it's simply not compatible.

Richard

jsnow36318

Reaction score
Interesting. I've used both of these tools on my grandpa's 98 Yukon

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As others have said, these trucks can be really picky about which adapters they'll connect to. I have two of the cheap blue ELM327 bluetooth adapters, they each only work with one of my '97 trucks. I had a BAFX that wouldn't work with either. My PLX Kiwi is the only adapter that has worked flawlessly with every vehicle I've tried it in.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Try this...key off engine off,plug it in,then key on engine off.Let it pair with your pcm,once it has paired and reading your pcm then start your truck.That's how I read wifey's '99 burb.I also have an ELM327,larger one though.I can also use a laptop with a WiFi adapter I have.