Possible distributor issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So awhile back my truck, 88 sierra 5.7l tbi, started missing, popping, and bucking and could barely be driven. After a quick inspection i found alot of corrosion inside the distributor so i bought a whole new one. I swapped them out making sure that it was at TDC on #1 and it went into the exact position the original dizzy was in. I got the timing set with no problems. Now the truck is running alot better but im still getting some bucking under a load. I decided to replace the plugs and wires. While checking the firing order i noticed that my distributor isnt eaxactlt orientated like the ones i see in other pictures, the whole thing is turned about 10-15* clockwise from where i see number one on other peoples. Could this be my problem although i gad no problem getting the timing set to 0*?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
also it runs perfect at idle and light throttle smooth and quite

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like weak spark to me
The entire ignition system is brand new, distributor, coil, plugs, and wires.

Good news is i just drove it 45 miles without a single hiccup. It seems i fixed the issue. But it does feel slightly down on power. I gapped my plugs at 40 instead of 35 since i have all new ignition system i figured i could get a hotter spark and better burn, but i may pull them back out and reduce the gap back to 35 to see if it makes a difference.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep the plugs simple too, none of those fancy pants spark plugs lol

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep the plugs simple too, none of those fancy pants spark plugs lol
Yeah on this old motor i just use the ac delco coppers. My 2001 6.0l takes those damn iridiums that are like $7/each

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so i drove it again today and it actes up again. Feels more like a fuel issue though. I pulled over and shut it off, then started it up and tried to blow the problem out the tailpipes, then proceeded to drive 60 miles with no issues.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so i drove it again today and it actes up again. Feels more like a fuel issue though. I pulled over and shut it off, then started it up and tried to blow the problem out the tailpipes, then proceeded to drive 60 miles with no issues.

try coolant temp sensor test it and then if that's not the case check fuel pressure, ground wires (especially check fuel pump ground wire)

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You say it looks like it's 10-15 degrees off from similar truck? Very well could be you're a tooth off. Had the same issue in an old 350 I rebuilt. Would start and run ok but had no power down the road. That was an old school hei system with vacuum advance though.

Reaction score
As long as your base timing is on then it does not matter were your #1 is. I rotated my dizzy 90* to keep it away from the heat. My base timing for my 464 had been at 8*, just changed it to 10*. Change your fuel filter.