Poor MPG, tuneup maybe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Sierra 1500 4x4 with 3.73 gears, 4l60e, 265/75R16 tires and a 5.7 vortec. On my last tank of gas I got 9 mpg with 98% of that being city and 25 degrees F and below weather. Does this sound bad? oh and also when I first bought the truck it had the check engine light on and it was for o2 sensors but then the battery died and now the light is no longer on.

So for plugs and wires what brand should I get?
And what brand for o2 sensors should I get?

Thanks, Matt.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Tune up....yes
O2 sensors....yes, at least the front 2

9mpg....sucks
You should be getting about 15

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Sierra 1500 4x4 with 3.73 gears, 4l60e, 265/75R16 tires and a 5.7 vortec. On my last tank of gas I got 9 mpg with 98% of that being city and 25 degrees F and below weather. Does this sound bad? oh and also when I first bought the truck it had the check engine light on and it was for o2 sensors but then the battery died and now the light is no longer on.

So for plugs and wires what brand should I get?
And what brand for o2 sensors should I get?

Thanks, Matt.

Plugs: Platinum or just regular AC-delcos with a single electrode, and gap them to .045" (Unless you put a hotter coil on, then .050-.055" is good)
Wires: Taylor 8mm. Silicone insulated and good quality.

Check your cap and rotor button and air filter. How old is your fuel filter?

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Plugs: Platinum or just regular AC-delcos with a single electrode, and gap them to .045" (Unless you put a hotter coil on, then .050-.055" is good)
Wires: Taylor 8mm. Silicone insulated and good quality.

Check your cap and rotor button and air filter. How old is your fuel filter?

Ok thanks, i have no clue how old the fuel filter is but i think i will replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
I just pulled a plug and this is how it looks, should I replace it? Im thinking so.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Plugs these days are usually good for 100K.....For the price of them, I would replace them.

BTW...you are saying how cold it is.....Winter time, vehicles get much worse mileage due to more idling and winter gas has additives to prevent freeze up. You mileage should get better in the spring, but a tuneup now wont hurt