Polishing Aluminum Skidplates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is a good method to polish out the skidplates that have dings all in them? I just got a set today for my Suburban since i dont like the flimsy plastic ones.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
white diamond metal polish using a cotton polishing ball in a drill.clean first with eagle 1 mag etching wheel cleaner then polish it

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
white diamond metal polish using a cotton polishing ball in a drill.clean first with eagle 1 mag etching wheel cleaner then polish it
So the etching wheel will smooth out the dings?
What is a good method to polish out the skidplates that have dings all in them? I just got a set today for my Suburban since i dont like the flimsy plastic ones.
You must be registered for see images attach

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the etching wheel cleaner is a spray on acid cleaner that removes the oxidation and grime from the aluminum and the polish with the drill and polishing ball shines it like chrome

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. What do i do about the dings/chips then? Should i sand them smooth?

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes but use fine paper too coarse of paper will leave scratches sand it smooth acid wash then polish

James Hart

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. What do i do about the dings/chips then? Should i sand them smooth?

Start with some 80 or 100 grit, keep it wet & go in one direction, and progressively work up to the 600-800 range for a nice dull shine, if you want mirror go to 2000-3000 range then polish. (it is what I'm slowly doing to my vintage bike's aluminum cases).

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with some 80 or 100 grit, keep it wet & go in one direction, and progressively work up to the 600-800 range for a nice dull shine, if you want mirror go to 2000-3000 range then polish. (it is what I'm slowly doing to my vintage bike's aluminum cases).
Thank you, i was hoping for a mirror finish or close to it. Ill have to do that.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have to have the bracket for the diff skidplate or would it be fine being held by just the two bolts?