please help 4l60e problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mansfield990

Reaction score
Is a 1994 trans 4l60e out of a 1994 chevy interchangeable with a newer year or not truck is a 4x4 chevy with 56000 miles on it . If doing a rebuild should i put in a new torque converter and or a front pump

Reaction score
That depends on the year, in 1997 GM went to a PWM solenoid to control line pressure and TCC apply, as long as the trans that came out of the newer veh does not have "PWM" stamped on the front pump then you will be ok, yes with the converter, only replace the pump if it is damaged, although i would replace the internals with that of a newer trans (that being the slide and vanes that actually pump the fluid) they are 13 vane pumps and pump more volume than the stock 10 vane pump your trans came with. If you have the vin #'s handy on both the vehicles I can run a search at work and tell you.

oneluckypops

Reaction score
Is a 1994 trans 4l60e out of a 1994 chevy interchangeable with a newer year or not truck is a 4x4 chevy with 56000 miles on it . If doing a rebuild should i put in a new torque converter and or a front pump
No a 94 will NOT interchange with any newer models.
That depends on the year, in 1997 GM went to a PWM solenoid to control line pressure and TCC apply, as long as the trans that came out of the newer veh does not have "PWM" stamped on the front pump then you will be ok, yes with the converter, only replace the pump if it is damaged, although i would replace the internals with that of a newer trans (that being the slide and vanes that actually pump the fluid) they are 13 vane pumps and pump more volume than the stock 10 vane pump your trans came with. If you have the vin #'s handy on both the vehicles I can run a search at work and tell you.

PWM was introduced in 1995 , they then made changes to it again in 96.

94 and down will interchange
95 is a year of its own and WILL NOT interchange up or down
96 will interchange up

Reaction score
I have never seen PWM on an 4l60 that wasnt the new 96 year modular design ( the new 3 piece case), and what is the difference with 95 they use the same pcm and OBD1 diagnostics as in the 93 and 94, the only thing that is different is the mem cal?

oneluckypops

Reaction score
I have never seen PWM on an 4l60 that wasnt the new 96 year modular design ( the new 3 piece case), and what is the difference with 95 they use the same pcm and OBD1 diagnostics as in the 93 and 94, the only thing that is different is the mem cal?

93-94 Did NOT use a PWM TCC apply feel solenoid, Just a 3-2 downshift solenoid
95 They added the PWM TCC apply feel solenoid which is also the same solenoid as the 3-2 downshift solenoid.
96 They changed from a PWM to a regular On/Off solenoid. when they changed to the On/Off solenoid they also had to change the Valevs line up, the spacer plate was changed, aswell as the VCM to control the simple on/off instead of the pulsating.

If your interested in learning about ALL of the changes made check out or buy the ATSG 4L60E update handbook. It will tell you all the changes made and why aswell as all the parts that were effected with the changes. http://atsg.com/cart/products/4L60_E_4L65E_Update_Handbook-75-5.html

Reaction score
Already have that book buried somewhere in the shop, I always reference this book anyways, http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...om=result&Style=helm&Sku=HM4L60ETG&itemtype=N
Although I havent read up completely on the updates made in the early to mid 90's as these are before my career start and knowledge about them isnt necessary (mostly 97 and up is what I deal with).
Just comes to show you can learn something new everyday!:)
Anyways thanks for the clarification oneluckypops!