Peeling paint advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micah Wells

Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice on the best way to prime this? The hood is pretty much half peeled off, and the top of the doors and roof are getting there as well. I plan on painting in the next year, but need to keep these areas from rusting. I know nothing about paint/body repair; so talk to me like I know nothing. Thanks

- Micah

You must be registered for see images attach

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you are seeing the factory ecoat primer, I wouldn't mess with it if you plan to repaint in the next year.
Anything you put on there will have to be removed before paint.
When time for paint it will all need to be taken to bare metal. I've done hundreds of delams.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 ,,,,dont fool with it. Just wait untill you have it painted. I had mine done in 2013 and although it is a cheap paint job, it still looks as good today as it did the day I had it painted. Keep in mind that I do buff and polish my truck very regular. Here are a few pics I took this weekend.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh and of you are going to do a bed liner, have it done first. Do NOT do a bed liner after you have your truck painted. When they do a bed liner, they use razor tape, and this stuff will peal off fresh paint when removing it. You can see where I had to repaint mine.

Taterbug

Reaction score
Oh and of you are going to do a bed liner, have it done first. Do NOT do a bed liner after you have your truck painted. When they do a bed liner, they use razor tape, and this stuff will peal off fresh paint when removing it. You can see where I had to repaint mine.

I actually really appreciate that advice. Wanted to do some touch up paint myself and replace the drop in with a spray on, good thing to know now before it’s too late!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micah Wells

Reaction score
X2 ,,,,dont fool with it. Just wait untill you have it painted. I had mine done in 2013 and although it is a cheap paint job, it still looks as good today as it did the day I had it painted. Keep in mind that I do buff and polish my truck very regular. Here are a few pics I took this weekend.

Looks good. 2 stage or single stage paint job?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Single stage paint. Thats what they recomended and I wasnt sure at first. Once I saw some of there work, I said yea. Like I said, I do buff and polish it regularly. Its hard to argue with that kind of shine. I have put my truck in a local drive in car show several times, and it always gets attention, and everyone says its a clean truck.

Last edited:

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the rust look bothers you, you can hit it with some scotchbrite and spray bomb white. It will then look like white crap instead of
rust colored crap.
Don't do single stage unless it is a solid color even then I would choose BC/CC
If your paint job is prepped properly and fully cured you will not have any trouble with the wire tape
used for bedliners.

CATman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone offer advice on the best way to prime this? The hood is pretty much half peeled off, and the top of the doors and roof are getting there as well. I plan on painting in the next year, but need to keep these areas from rusting. I know nothing about paint/body repair; so talk to me like I know nothing. Thanks

- Micah

I had the problem on my hood. Couldn't take looking at it, so I sanded it down to metal. Primer it and the just threw some semi flat black on it for now. Like you ,I know I will have to do some more repair on the other delamination of the paint in other spots. Roof and front panel. For now it is easier on the eyes, well my eyes anyway. Lol.
Had another truck I drove for about a year with different shades of primer. While I was doing work on it before painting.

Question for the other guys is , should I polish the turd? Buff the rest of the truck to get a shine on the other parts of the truck. Maybe leave the areas with the delamination alone.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo