Paycheck again at 71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opinions from those that have done the job. Adjust valve lash? I tighten till there is no play in the push rod. No slop back and forth and no spin. Then I do a full tightening turn on the rocker arm nut. Different methods?
I don't trust "spin". I've been able to spin a pushrod with a valve halfway down. I tighten until I can't feel any play.

Also, a full turn is too tight. I've always heard 1/4 to 1/2. Since I'm not trying to eliminate spin, which may make my lash a little loose, I go 1/2 a turn.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't trust "spin". I've been able to spin a pushrod with a valve halfway down. I tighten until I can't feel any play.

Also, a full turn is too tight. I've always heard 1/4 to 1/2. Since I'm not trying to eliminate spin, which may make my lash a little loose, I go 1/2 a turn.
I have heard that if you have other than a stock cam in the engine, 1 turn is too tight. If is stock, 1 turn is fine. My plan is to loosen the nut and check play in the push rod and go with the amount of loosening it takes to just start to feel push rod movement. I have adjusted push rods on a running small block and tightened 1 turn as soon as the clatter noise subsided. Even with the little oil block off clips, it was very messy.