Painting over chrome grill or Getting chrome off somehow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a chrome Chevy grill in really good shape, but I want it victory red. Before I start painting I just figured id ask what is the best thing I can do to prep this grill so my paint will look good and not chip. Does the chrome have to go? If the chrome does have to go is there any way in hell to accomplish that, Ill try anything because I got the grill for free. I have a gmc truck with a color matched grill already so worst case scenario I don't use this Chevy grill. I'm not going to buy a black paintable Chevy grill though because I don't want one that bad and im saving up for the 6" lift. Thanks for the pointers.

What kind of sand paper?

What kind of primer?

What methods has anyone use to remove this chrome crap?

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
My bumper has been painted for almost 3 years and I've yet to have a problem with it. Just make sure to sand it well and then use self etching primer.

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You just sanded and painted over a chrome bumper???? and it looks that good???? your bumped looks amazing. Was it actually mixed and sprayed on not rattle canned

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
You just sanded and painted over a chrome bumper???? and it looks that good???? your bumped looks amazing. Was it actually mixed and sprayed on not rattle canned

I didn't do it myself but that was the process. I was originally going to sand blast it but didn't get around to it before it went to the body shop. All that was done was a decent amount of sanding followed by self-etching primer and paint.

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm, Well good to know because I was going to buy new sets of paintable ones. Thanks man. So I guess im just going to sand my ass off, then self etch primer and come back with paint on this grill

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
Hmmm, Well good to know because I was going to buy new sets of paintable ones. Thanks man. So I guess im just going to sand my ass off, then self etch primer and come back with paint on this grill

If you are going to rattle can it I'd suggest a layer or two of clear for the extra protection. Just spray a coat on and then compare it to the paint on your truck so you don't put too much/too little.

97PROSHOZ71

IG - @bad_z71
Reaction score
On my current grille I used plasti dip, you might give that a thought if you like the chrome at all, that wag in case you want it back you can peel it off. I don't know how well the red dip matches the victory red though.

On my S10 I painted the chrome grille when I had it. I sanded it real well, made sure get everything nice and scuffed up. As mentioned before, put a coat or two of self etching primer on there. For mine I used duplicolor spray paint, and three or 4 coats of clear. Looked good and was pretty simple to do. Just be sure your prep work is done right.

Sent from my Vortec Powered iPhone using Tapatalk

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate the chrome so no worries there. How long did you guys let the etching primer dry before you started painting