Paint buffing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If he has a perfectly clean hospital setup and filters then it might be a nice job.

I always cut and buff anyways. If you want a top notch great job, you want it sanded and buffed.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Insurance repairs are 80% of the work load here too but some shops will do all-overs if you're willing to hand over the loot. The shop that did my last truck charges $4,500 for all-overs and that includes a good quality repaint, clearcoat wet sand and buff.

We're house shopping so that was a bit out of my price range for my daily driver project so I decided to have it painted by a smaller mom & pop shop for $2,550. It's pretty descent for the money considering the paint and materials alone cost over $1,200 and I do get compliments daily on the work & looks but it's still nothing close to a show quality work as far as I'm concerned. It's a truck & my daily and I drive her at least 5 days a week so spending $4,500 - up just didn't add to me but to each his and her own.

Best advice I can offer is.......if it's a daily driver you can skimp a little on the shop to cut the cost but if it's a show ride go ahead and drop some madd loot on a show quality paint job.

Last edited:

Crash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A while back I guy I worked with was trying to get a bug ready for a show. Here it was the day before and it wasn't painted yet. He decided that sense he wouldn't have time to wet sand & buff it he would put extra reducer in it and just be careful not to have any runs. It worked, smooth as glass and all day everyone was asking if it was just painted cus they could smell it.

Now, here at the place I work at now, every car gets buffed.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I have actually found another painter already, and progress is under way.