P1870

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh ok well then check some tranny supply shops. Ebay might be a good place to start. Any local place could be able to get you the parts at least.

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
aight. still have a question tho, what are the benefits of a shift kit?

99COOP

Reaction score
you will get mixed reviews, but for the most part it reduces wear on the clutches, reduces the slip to create a firmer shift which prolongs transmission life, and reduces temps. But a lot of shift kits are just a whole bunch of springs, valves and BS. If your building up your valve body for a particular use like towing, or something then choose to make upgrades in parts that are weak links or faulty from the factory in the 4l60e transmission. One of these would be the TCC regulator valve that your having trouble with, I would install a new regulator valve and sleeve for that issue before i bothered with a shift kit.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Basically shift kit modifies fluid flow which changes the way shifts act etc. It makes it a bit quicker and hold gears better but isn't making your transmission any stronger. A fully built transmission will usually have some sort of fluid flow modification but also uses all higher performance internal parts.

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the explanation guys

you will get mixed reviews, but for the most part it reduces wear on the clutches, reduces the slip to create a firmer shift which prolongs transmission life, and reduces temps. But a lot of shift kits are just a whole bunch of springs, valves and BS. If your building up your valve body for a particular use like towing, or something then choose to make upgrades in parts that are weak links or faulty from the factory in the 4l60e transmission. One of these would be the TCC regulator valve that your having trouble with, I would install a new regulator valve and sleeve for that issue before i bothered with a shift kit.

hmm ur saying new regulator valve and sleeve but Hodges87 was saying its the TCC apply valve..... so which is it or is it both or are they the same thing? sorry i'm just a little confused at the moment

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would start with the TCC apply valve first, its cheap and you can do it yourself with a few tools. I'm not trying to contradict 99COOP, he is right about the regulator sleeve but your looking at a minimum $200+ to do that job yourself. To install a new TCC apply valve its $15 + fluid & filter so about $40. I'm going to install a new TCC apply valves in both my 97 Chevys

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would start with the TCC apply valve first, its cheap and you can do it yourself with a few tools. I'm not trying to contradict 99COOP, he is right about the regulator sleeve but your looking at a minimum $200+ to do that job yourself. To install a new TCC apply valve its $15 + fluid & filter so about $40. I'm going to install a new TCC apply valves in both my 97 Chevys

? the link 99COOP posted shows that part only for $40 list price. what makes it at a minimum $200???

btw thanks again 99COOP for the link, it gives all the information you will need

99COOP

Reaction score
No problem. I believe when Hodges is referring to $200 that is the reamer cost as well, which will definitely get ya on cost (I've seen them on sites from $80-130) considering you will only use it once so its an expensive one time use. However if you can find a shop that rebuilds GM transmissions or is a reputable shop they should have that reamer/drill bit already. My transmission shop has one because he rebuilds plenty of 4l60e's that need this modification and he will install the kit for around $150 parts included. This is a more expensive fix then replacing the apply valve, but because this is a common problem in these transmissions I prefer this route because it is a "stronger" fix. Both of the above mentioned will probably do you just fine though.