P1870

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ahhhh ok. hmm my dad may or may not already have the reamer since he was a GM tech. i'll talk around and see if i can borrow one. thanks!

bluebear15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's not good to bring a thread back to life out of the grave but I just have a follow up. I never got around to fixing the code and I just ran it as is since it only happened once in awhile. Well now I think it finally wore out because now it won't really shift out of first gear. I have to let it run up to bout 2500RPM then let off the gas all the way till it hits about 20mph and then it will shift into 2nd. I was just wondering if this was for sure due to the P1870 code finally wearing out to where it slips majorly from 1st to 2nd. Is it better to just find a 4L60E on craigslist and put it in or buy the $100 reamer and $15 part to fix it? The tahoe has 253xxx miles on it currently and when I bought it the previous owner told me the tranny was rebuilt back around 2004 which it would have been around 150k-180k miles back then.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I'm having basically the same behavior out of mine, 230K on the truck, I was told the trans was rebuilt in the last couple years. My solution: 5.3l engine swap. LOL

As for how to appropriately respond to the issue, its up to you. A craigslist trans is just as likely to have issues as yours though.