P1354?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced the o2 sensors and the cam sensor without pulling the distributor. The 5.7 97 truck was kicking the starter back and running rich to the nostril sensor. Starts great now, runs much smoother but still throwing the 1354. Is there an android Bluetooth app that will help me set cam retard? Or might it self learn?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231120_115656_Torque.jpg
    Screenshot_20231120_115656_Torque.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 6

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found this post after a further search.

barry_g

Reaction score
yes.
I use Dash command for phone (and lap top), with the xtra 5 bucks spent for the cam retard reading.
and obd link lx bluetooth obd2, I think it is.
less than 100 in the whole thing.

if you have a fast phone like samsung s21 or newer.. holy cow. there is not a scanner even getting close to that speed..not even my 12 core lap top.
I read mph faster on the app than my speedometer :D

anyway, I just logged in to check in on unique app for obd2 software myself. I learned there is a paremeters you can change like tire size etc. My 96 is off by 3mph...little details.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the o2 sensors and the cam sensor without pulling the distributor.

The 5.7 97 truck was kicking the starter back and running rich to the nostril sensor.
The "nostril sensor" is not at all good at detecting rich/lean. Check the O2 sensor voltage to determine fuel mix--and even then, misfire creates a false "lean" signal, leading to the computer going into "rich command".

"Rich smell" is most-often either misfire or failed catalytic converters...or both, since misfire murders converters.

"Kicking back" may or may not be related to the spark jumping to the wrong terminal of the distributor cap. My '97 7.4L distributor was "off" by 29 degrees when I bought it, and still didn't kick-back.

Or might it self learn?
Nope. Has to be corrected by twisting the distributor.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
"Rich smell" is most-often either misfire or failed catalytic converters...or both, since misfire murders converters.

What's lost on a lot of people is the fact that lean stinks too, and I'd be willing to bet most can't tell the diff.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had to go get some firewood. It was on the other side of a mountain, and it's definitely running better. I'll download the Dash Command app tonight. Nostril sensor is only useful any more for telling me something is off.The starter weirdness went away whatever was causing it with changing the cam sensor. I'm using an S22 ultra to read with this thing still amazes me with how fast it is. Thanks for all the replies y'all!