P0440 P0300 Back firing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeySS

Reaction score
1998 5.0 1500 with 180,000 miles. It has had a SES for 2 years dued to low compression in cylinder number 6. But you'd never know, ran 17 mpg.

The other day it started back firing and losing power. It threw a 440 and 300 code. It acts exactly as if the engine temp sensor was bad. I checked the engine temp sensor with my scanner and was able to watch it rise steadily... so I know it's good.

The distributor has 2 years on it with 15,000 miles. I replaced ignition coil, plugs & wires, fuel filter, PCV and did an oil change today. The problem is persisting.

I'll check cylinder compression tomorrow. Please feel free to offer any suggestions. Thanks in advance

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Backfire could be lean or ****** up ass timing, but timing likely isn't it with a Vortec.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently had the po300, swapped plugs wires cap rotor an coil and it made it better but still has times where it feeling like a miss but no codes. Next guess will be the injectors but if u have a compression problem that could be it

JoeySS

Reaction score
Just had the coolant flushed and cleaned 2 months ago. Opened it up and it was all gone. I'm wondering if I should do the intake manifold gasket... Or go for a rebuilt motor.