P0174 After New Air Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dako

Reaction score
Ok guys, what did I do now to upset my trucks all knowing, all perfect, computer? I put in a brand new air filter after I got off work and as I was just about 4 miles from home the damned light came on. Now, it wasn't a K&N filter, it was Purolator, and it was the larger HD filter, not the standard. Also, because I really like the sound of induction my engine makes, I was running with the air box lid. So, was it my fault that I wanted to have a little fun that caused my lean condition? Was it the larger filter area that caused less restriction? Or is something else that is much, much worse happening since I only got a lean code on one bank? I'd like to hear any opinions anybody has so I can nip this in the bud, I was enjoying a completely fine, perfectly working truck the longest. I don't want to go through this crap again, lol. Also, I don't wanna let the engine rich up and throw things down the line outta whack, 'cause Lord knows how awful the domino effect is with these trucks, it's almost like if those dominoes are set up on a slope.

Fuzzy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming you have a vortec there's a PCV hose that comes off your Right Valve cover and goes to the intake tube, if that comes off it'll throw a 0174

Dako

Reaction score
Assuming you have a vortec there's a PCV hose that comes off your Right Valve cover and goes to the intake tube, if that comes off it'll throw a 0174
Yep, it's a Vortec. And, my PCV hose is all good, checked it first lol. The concerning thing is that, before, I had both codes when I went through my earlier ordeal since my leak was at the oring round the spider injector where it fits into the intake plenum. But now, I've got a code on only one bank, Bank 2, which means the new air filter probably wasn't the cause, it could be a gasket leak under the valve cover, or my intake gasket on that side isn't sealing properly. Or, it could be an exhaust leak or so I've heard.

Dako

Reaction score
Here's a quick update. The lean condition now occurs on both banks, but it is intermittent. It'll show up for a day, and be gone the next. I've got a little more looking to do, something tells me there is a loose connection somewhere important. Either on the engine on one of, like, three or two vacuum lines and hoses, or somewhere in the exhaust before the O2 sensors.