Overheat alarm/buzzer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Anyone using an overheat alarm?

Both of my trucks are 5.7 vortec and I think I'd like to use the unused passenger side coolant plug (on the head) to install an alarm, especially for the one my wife drives and which we use as a long-haul family tripper.

Dash gauge works fine, just reads about 20 degrees less than actual, which is common on these anyway. Actual temp runs 190 to 195, verified by scan tool while running

If you have used one of these, I'd love some suggestions

Dan_Frisbie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used temperature lights on a few race cars in the past, but it's been nearly 30 years since I've put one together... Go to a racing products sight like Summit and you should be able to get a sending unit designed specifically for an alarm or light, either preset or adjustable to your desired temperature.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many boats use temp alarms also so that could be a source. My brother runs on on his diesel lobster boat. Fisherman have to many things going on at once to keep an eye on gauges. Smart one have high water alarms in the bilge too.

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never used one of these alarms before, but now you got me wondering how easy it would be to wire something up using the existing chime/buzzer circuit.

Really, you might not even have to install an extra sending unit. I don't think our trucks have a high temperature warning lamp to tap into, but what about the "CHECK GAGES" lamp? Isn't that activated by high temps? I think it's triggered by low oil pressure, too. Not a bad idea to have an alarm for that...

I bet this whole thing could cost mere pennies.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tell your wife how much new motor costs, I did that now she pays real close attention to gauges.