Overdrive questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350Vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering, since i got my new muffler installed. I can hear alot more shifting wise, when my tranny sounds as if its droning out etc. And its made me question some things.

When driving, my truck will shift into all the gears fine. But at around 40 mph i noticed that it sounds like my truck....drops in rpms? The engine changes sound wise and if i want to get up and go to get out of that little lull i have to press the pedal down a good amount to get it to starting moving. Is that just the overdrive engaging or? Its just a very smooth low drone sound when crusing at 40 mph and around there...is what im trying to say. It also does that at crusing speeds on the highway, With my truck set to 70 mph cruise control. The rpms read around 2k. and it has that low drone sound to.

Also, when going up hills around my house. The tranny seems to "hunt" for a gear to go into it. and will finally shift and allow me to go up the hill with less pressure applied to the pedal. But when first going up the hill...it loses power sounds like its seraching for a gear. then shifts and the rpms shoot up to like 2k? i think. And it seems a bit easier for my truck to climb the hill.

I just really want to know if this is all normal, i know alot of my friends wonder this about there trucks also.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can test this by lightly pressing the brakes, while you foot is on the accelerator pedal. The rpms will jump up by 200 or 400.

350Vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much Hodges, Much appreciated. Just clarifying small things like that clears my head of any worries ya know haha? Its hard to enjoy your truck if your constantly worrying.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you very much Hodges, Much appreciated. Just clarifying small things like that clears my head of any worries ya know haha? Its hard to enjoy your truck if your constantly worrying.

Anytime

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
yea, its def your torque converter, i think its less norticable with a higher stall one.

350Vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more question, what would cause my truck to...."over rev" when switching into 2nd gear. Not sure how to put it. Im not good with tranny things at all. But, it gears into first fine, But on real cold days and stuff. ESPECIALLY going uphill. My truck will actually pass 2 grand on the rpms, Not alot just a little and then shift into 2nd. It revs high...not sure if this is normal or not..

BTW, Thanks for all your help guys. Seriously. Clears my head of anything...

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it does this, how far down is the throttle pedal pressed? Usually when you have delayed shifts on a normal trans its due to heavy throttle

350Vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am usually easy on it when im driving. So it doesnt usually do it when im driving flat roads. But when going uphill i usually have it halfway to the floor. And thats when its worst.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
thats because it has to keep the rpms up otherwise if it shifts it will fall flat on its face. going up hills or under heavy load or if you stay on the gas more, it will keep it in that gear and let it rev up more. if your real worried about it, you can get a vette servo