Onstar panel re-purposing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have had this overhead console panel for a while in my garage. I took it off a late GMT400 Tahoe/Yukon. It goes in place of the more common sunglasses holder. I will not be trying to hook up onstar in my old truck, but would still like to use it for something and keep a factory-ish look. Anyone ever re-purposed this for something else? These all seem to be momentary switches and there are two pigtails, one four wire, one three.

Let's hear some ideas!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
It could be used to activate the rear mounted machine guns.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Fog light in the middle (change out the switch guts or use a latching relay), + sign to air up overloader air bags, the other to deflate?

maybe use the "on" button to turn the aircompressor on and off?

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
On a serious note, I'm sure you could use it for any auxiliary switch you needed. The question is, what do you want?

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I would probably look for the sunglasses holder if I were you. I keep a set in my truck in there, and they come in handy.

If you don't want to do that, I would probably be sneaky and make those buttons into some kind of kill switch for the ignition. Not even sure if that's realistic, but it would be cool.

Let's say you get out of the truck, push the onstar button, and it makes it impossible to start the truck by disconnecting the ignition circuit. Push one of the other buttons when you get back in, and it reconnects the circuit or something. Like I said, maybe that's just me being paranoid because of the theft rate where I am (one of the worst areas for car theft), but you have to admit, no one would ever figure it out. It might be kind of a pain to have to go through that process every time, but hey, at least it's peace of mind.

Otherwise, if you have any other switches you're adding, you could probably just cut the holes on that piece to fit your switch/button, and make it look semi-factory.