Old oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this. I considered the lounge, but decided to put it here.

This is a video on old oil, that I listened to at work. Previously, I've expressed willingness to run old oil and not worry about it... Although not quite as old as some of this stuff. On occasion I've mentioned and maybe semi-bragged about having some of the oil in my rear diff that's 40+ years old. It would seem that's likley not a good thing after watching this video.

I'd still probably run 10 year old oil (in an old engine) and not be too concerned, but not 20 year old oil.

The video actually start out with address shaking, which isn't something I've ever really read about, or practiced anyway.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've still got some cans, the round ones you stab with a spout, of Pennzoil Racing 50 wt. The silver ones with a checkerboard panel. So their about .,...oh sh. Their 49 years old.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've still got some cans, the round ones you stab with a spout, of Pennzoil Racing 50 wt. The silver ones with a checkerboard panel. So their about .,...oh sh. Their 49 years old.

I have a spout that's never been used. I got it in a lot of tools from an estate sale, I think. I never used cans for my own vehicles, but I opened a can or two for my dad, as a kid. They were cardboard with metal tops, I think.

What I found interesting, is that the lab found water in the oil that had been in plastic bottles. Apparently, given enough time atmospheric moisture finds it's way in, even in plastic.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I think this is worth more unopened than it would be in a transmission.
Yup if that's a metal can in good shape... definitely.
I looked at eBay and found a couple of these, one for $10, one for $16 that was reduced from $20.
At a swap meet it'd probably be at least that.

Last edited: