oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5W-30 has been what GM has recommend since the 1980's, and it does a fine job of lubricating these engines if they are in good shape. Mine has run Mobil 1 5W-30 since it was picked up at the dealership, and 132,000 miles later I still have 40 PSI at hot idle, and 60-70 going down the road.

It's all about the shape of the engine. If your engine is putting out low oil pressure with the recommended oil, it's a sign the engine is just worn. All the oil pumps do is pump the oil, it's the internal clearances in the engine that give it the pressure. As the motor wears out (lack of oil, conventional oil, too thick/thin of oil, and just use/abuse) those small clearances get larger, resulting in a drop of oil pressure.

Think of the oil pump as a garden hose. Turn the hose on, and it pumps out water, same speed, same flow rate. Stick your thumb over the end, and you have less water coming out, but at a higher pressure. That's what the small holes in the bearings do. They only shoot out a small amount of the oil that is provided to them, but at a higher pressure. As they wear out/down, the pressure drops.

On my old GMC, the head gasket blew 2 miles from home, and was dumping coolant into cylinder #5, and the oil pan. I wasn't going to just park it there (no one within 30 miles of here has a tow truck), so I drove it home, shaking and all.

Well, my oil looked like chocolate milk when I parked it. After I replaced the gaskets and all, I had next to 0 O/P at hot idle, and only about 25 psi going down the road at 60 MPH, where before I was around 25/45. Me driving it home those two miles contaminated the oil to the point I had metal on metal contact with probably every mated surface in the engine. This seriously accelerated the wear in the engine to the point that by the time the oil got to the sending unit, there was no pressure under 1,100 RPM's or so.

I sold the truck about a year later, the only way I got it to have about 15 PSI at idle is with 3 quarts of 10W-40, and 2 quarts of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Whereas before, 5W-30 was just fine.

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
if the oil is a lighter weight say 10w30 its thin anyway so in a warm engine it will run a lower psi anyway then it would if you ran 30wt oil

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the oil is a lighter weight say 10w30 its thin anyway so in a warm engine it will run a lower psi anyway then it would if you ran 30wt oil

If both are rated as a 30 weight at operating temperature then they will have similar kinematic viscosities at that temperature, meaning that they should have the same oil pressure at that temperature. The difference comes in at low temperatures, where the 10W30 will have the same kinematic viscosity as a 10 weight oil and will behave as a 10 weight oil, whereas the 30 weight will still have the viscosity and properties of a 30 weight oil at that temperature.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Both of my trucks, 98 and the 94 peg out the PSI gauge while driving. My 98 nearly pegs it out when first start up. the 94 is constantly 65-70 at initial start up

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
^^^ what he said above...

a small block chevy can live at 5 to 8psi at idle.. a racing rule of thumb is for every 1000rpm you want 10psi bump in oil pressure.. so if your motor is turning 7000rpm's 60 to 70psi

This. Spot on. My oil pressure is all over the place Haha.