oil pressure and fuel tank gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

COBRA-13

Reaction score
Just asking around to get some ideas, my 1998 ecsb when i first start it the oil pressure runs about 60 psi then when it reaches operating temp it runs the normal 40 psi . On highway at operating temp i run about 50 psi. Is this normal, something getting worn or did someone put in a high volume pump. Also one day my gas gauge stuck on full, but the previous owner put in a new fuel pump, i read that the 98's are a one piece unit or can you get just the fuel pump by itself. Trying to figure out if my sending unit is out or if it something else. then my dad's 1997 k-ecsb when he first starts it runs 40 psi, it reaches operating temp it loses all pressure, we're trying to get around to fixing it but i was wanting to know what the possibilities are to look for. Thanks everybody and all the other people who have helped before.

mistaake

Reaction score
Just asking around to get some ideas, my 1998 ecsb when i first start it the oil pressure runs about 60 psi then when it reaches operating temp it runs the normal 40 psi . On highway at operating temp i run about 50 psi. Is this normal, something getting worn or did someone put in a high volume pump. Also one day my gas gauge stuck on full, but the previous owner put in a new fuel pump, i read that the 98's are a one piece unit or can you get just the fuel pump by itself. Trying to figure out if my sending unit is out or if it something else. then my dad's 1997 k-ecsb when he first starts it runs 40 psi, it reaches operating temp it loses all pressure, we're trying to get around to fixing it but i was wanting to know what the possibilities are to look for. Thanks everybody and all the other people who have helped before.

my 95 tbi has simlar oil pressure unless it's really hot then it goes down to 20 very rarely but usually 40-60. so it's normal?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nearly all the SBC's I have had run 60 psi oil pressure cold, around 35 ish hot idle, and 50-60 hot on the highway, even with 250k miles, I would say if your dads truly has nearly no oil pressure when hot then the motor is near the end of its life with a lot of clearance around bearing journals etc. Also I would hook up a temporary mechanical oil psi gauge to verify the oil pressure. On the fuel gauge, I have several 98-2000's where the gauge in the cluster has quit working right, but yes it could be the sender in the tank, and yes on a 98 it is a 1 piece module.

COBRA-13

Reaction score
Okay and thanks. Basically mines fine and my dad's is shot. Would like to get my gauge working if anyone has any ideas about that, if i have to replace dash cluster, fuel unit, or maybe a wire to look at.