Oil Filters with good anti-drainback valves?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I suspect that it's not the oil filter causing your clatter. Seems like old motor stuff to me.
I suspected that too, until I had an oil filter on there (Believe it was a WIX or maybe a Purolator Boss) that I ran for an OCI and didn't hear anything on start-up. Then I recall reading a post Shurkey(?) made about there being a TSB about the very same issue with K trucks. The engine does have about 190k on it now, but still doesn't smoke or burn oil, runs damn fine.

exactly which WIX filter number have you been using ? The one with a short-lived ADV ? Which WIX ?

* if you've been using WIX 51036 (18 x 1.5mm thread) --- try Purolator ONE PL24011 (BLUE) or Purolator BOSS PBL 24011 (BLACK) they both supposed to have a silicone ADV --- the red one does Not.
Yes, that's the one I was using. Then I switched back to AC Smelco. I ran the P. One filter for an OCI, didn't like how pinched the slits were for oil going into the engine, you know, where a fella dumps oil in to prime the oil filter. Thank you for listing the part numbers, I will try either one again and (hopefully) report back.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
WIX XP was what I was using. One OCI I started to notice the 1/2 second of rattle on start-up and then come to find WIX sold out.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If concerned to this degree? The filter can be relocated to where they sit straight up/down. Making the drain-back valve irrelevant Mine are under the core support. Plus, it allows the use of full-size filter(s).

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If concerned to this degree? The filter can be relocated to where they sit straight up/down. Making the drain-back valve irrelevant Mine are under the core support. Plus, it allows the use of full-size filter(s).
Even a filter that is sitting straight upright with no ADV will still drain back once the oil pump stops pumping. The oil galley's are above the filter and gravity prevails.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or, does it simply drain out the bearing clearances?
In either case, how do these motors last for 3, 4, and 5k miles without rebuilding?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or, does it simply drain out the bearing clearances?
In either case, how do these motors last for 3, 4, and 5k miles without rebuilding?
The oil drains down from the top of the motor,through the filter,down through the oil pump and back into the pan which leaves the upper portion of the engine dry. There will still be oil film on the parts but the critical oil gallery's will be dry and it will take a few seconds for the pump to refill them. The oil gallery's feed the lifters,cam,main and rod bearings so if oil is not immediately supplied lifters will clatter,cam,main and rod bearings could gall. The damage is minute but repeated dry starts will eventually shorten the life of the engine.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest solution is to install an Accusump, and an electric valve.
Puts the entire system under positive oil pressure before the starter engages.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easiest solution is to install an Accusump, and an electric valve.
Puts the entire system under positive oil pressure before the starter engages.
No,easiest solution is to buy a good quality oil filter with a check valve that works in it. I agree that the oil accumulator is the best solution.