Oil filter adapter problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcal73

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a GM crate 5.7l TBI engine that I installed in another vehicle complete with TBI and serp setup from a 93 GMT 400.
I have had two oil filters leak at the seal one being a wix and the other is a K&N.
The wix blew the O-ring and made an awful mess.
The K&N is just wet at the seal area.
I have a regular GM oil filter adapter installed on the engine. I use the standard GM long filter (same as a 2x4 5.7l GMT400).
The oil pressure runs around 60 psi cold idle and goes up around 80 psi cold with throttle applied.
Those numbers drop 15 to 20 psi when warmed up.
The filters are installed correctly ( I've been changing oil for over 20 years with no issues and am a professional mechanic on heavy duty trucks).
My question is are there different oil filter adapters?
The one that I have is supposed to be for my application (93 2x4 5.7l GMT400).
Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to be so long winded!

Jeff

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Is it the oil cooler or simply just an adapter?

You can use a short filter and it will clear the driveshaft, thus eliminating the oil filter adapter or cooler.

On my truck its the stock engine with an oil cooler, the oil cooler seal is currently leaking so im going with using a short filter and blocking off the lines

Sent from ******'s Cellular Device

jcal73

Reaction score
Is it the oil cooler or simply just an adapter?

You can use a short filter and it will clear the driveshaft, thus eliminating the oil filter adapter or cooler.

On my truck its the stock engine with an oil cooler, the oil cooler seal is currently leaking so im going with using a short filter and blocking off the lines

Thanks,
It is just the adapter. I bought the crate engine and dropped it in an Old Jeep. The engine is setup just like a 2 wheel drive GMT 400.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
Ooh, then yea id just get a short filter or just remove the adapter since its not in a GMT400 anymore. Im not sure if the driveshaft in jeeps is driver drop or passenger drop?

lkfldredneck

HILLBILLY DELUXE!!!
Reaction score
The adapter has to be on there it is how the oil filter attaches to the block.

The adapter is just so it gets the oil filter out of the way of the driveshaft on 4x4 model gmt400s. If you unbolt the adapter the oil filter will thread right on normally. The adapter should have 2 bolts

ernjohn

Reaction score
just to be clear, is the oil filter adapter like http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ses-3-60-08-900/ or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hht-kf2/ or is it a stock one w/ the oil cooler lines?

it was the oil filter o-ring that got blown out, right?

my only thought is maybe the bypass valve is stuck and the filter can't keep up with the oil volume at 80psi. :shrug:

edit: accidently had the same link twice, corrected the 2nd link with the one I originally meant.

Last edited:

jcal73

Reaction score
just to be clear, is the oil filter adapter like http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ses-3-60-08-900/ or http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ses-3-60-08-900/ or is it a stock one w/ the oil cooler lines?

it was the oil filter o-ring that got blown out, right?

my only thought is maybe the bypass valve is stuck and the filter can't keep up with the oil volume at 80psi. :shrug:

It is the one you listed from summit. When the crate engine arrives it is not on there.
I will order the new adapter and give that a try.
Thanks
Jeff