Odd truck behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gojo83

Reaction score
Put a new trans in about 8k ago and when I did that I opened up the tubing for the intake and did a TB spacer as well as the restrictor plate mod. I then put on LT headers on which deleted the egr and 2.5 in exhaust and dumped behind the cab. it has 2 new O2 sensor new plugs but older wires that have about 12-15k on them. I have yet to do the cap and rotor but I do know that the intake manifold gaskets were replaced by the PO at a dealership so I would assume that it was done right. The truck is a 98 so I put a decent tune in the truck and it likes it quite a bit. The big problem is that is cough and stutters is the easiest way I can describe it. I have looked on the scans and when it does this the O2 doesn't come right down like it should but plateaus slightly then will be fine for the next switching of the O2. This makes me wonder it I have an injector slightly stuck open or something like that. The biggest thing I notice is that it does this more often when I go back home as 95% of their gas is ethanol enriched. The fuel filter was changed about 20k ago. This truck is mostly a highway truck/ tow haul truck / winter driver.
The truck has 160k so it is hardly broke in.

here is my thoughts from what I have read
bad injectors
ethanol gelling on the FP sock
Fuel pump slowly dying
cap and rotor need replaced.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Really hard to diagnose by what you have written. It sounds like you have a missfire on acceleration. Replacing the cap and rotor might help, but I would wet test the wires before doing that. They may be arching voltage.

gojo83

Reaction score
Really hard to diagnose by what you have written. It sounds like you have a missfire on acceleration. Replacing the cap and rotor might help, but I would wet test the wires before doing that. They may be arching voltage.

you were dead on they finally broke and caused recognizable misfires on the scan. now the question I have are BWD cap and rotor parts worth buying or spend more for Ac Delco

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Get the Delco parts.

-Via Mobile-

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
you were dead on they finally broke and caused recognizable misfires on the scan. now the question I have are BWD cap and rotor parts worth buying or spend more for Ac Delco

Glad I could help. And I agree with these guys, the AC Delco parts are the way to go. Only a few bucks more.....

gojo83

Reaction score
well it is doing it again but this time it is a different cylinder so I am going to get some Acdelco plugs and see if they clear it up... it was sputtering like a kid with Tourette's today so bad that I had to limp it home and take the toy to school today.