Not much air out of vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having just dropped in a new motor, I went through and replaced all of the components of the a/c system and had it all charged it, it blows nice and cold in the 30's out of the vents now.

However it takes a LONG time to cool down the inside of the truck on a hot day, like rediculously long. The HVAC vent fan motor makes the expected volume of noise on all 4 fan speed settings, and the flapper door works on the max a/c and recirculate setting...I just don't feel a lot of air being blown out of the vents.

Is this a bad HVAC fan motor or something else?

Comparing the amount of air out of the vents to my F150 or mustangs it feels like I get about half the air out of the vents with everything on max, or maybe even less than half?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
My 98 has never been what you would call "forceful", even on high.

Makes lots of noise on high, but not a lot of air. Truthfully, I don't really use high as one notch down from high seems to get pretty much the same amount of force and it's at least 4 times quieter.

One thing that did help mine was cleaning the evap core in the HVAC box under the dash.

What had happened was over the years dust, dirt hair, carpet fuzz, dog hair, etc had formed a "mat" over the core that was impeding airflow.

I removed the fan, reached up inside the box and gently pulled/cleaned the face of the core. I then sprayed it with "scrubbing bubbles", let it sit a few minutes and then flushed it out with a flow of water from the garden hose. I just let it wash back out on to the plastic I lined the carpet with and out the door. It also flowed out the heater box drain so I knew that was clear also.

Did it get any better?

Yup.

But it wasn't exactly a night and day difference. It just picked up the flow enough to notice a difference.

Well, it smelled better too.....:)

Might be worth pulling your fan out and having a peek....