NOT GMT400 RELATED. '09 5.3L oil pressure issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Posting here 'cause I'm not a member of an LS-specific forum.

Friend has an '09 Silverado with low oil pressure at the rear of the engine--sensor and dash gauge shows ~20 psi when warm at idle, in neutral. Sets an oil pressure code. My friend replaced the sensor and the screen under the sensor. No change.

We tested oil pressure with a mechanical gauge at the lower left front oil port; my gauge shows 50 psi when the dash gauge shows 20.

Is there a common reason why the LS engine would lose half of it's oil pressure from front to rear?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They also like to send shavings through the motor and futz up the oil pressure sending units and cause the pressure relief valve to stick.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlikely to be the sender or the screen, as both have just been replaced; and the new sensor/screen reads exactly the same as the original sensor/screen.

Can't be the oil pump/pressure relief, as I've got plenty of pressure at the front of the engine.

The issue is loss of pressure between the front and the back; which--I guess--means wiped bearings or restricted passages; or perhaps a restricted oil filter. I don't know where the oil filter is in that circuit--before or behind the front oil-pressure tap.

If there's a common cause for pressure loss from front to rear, I'd love to hear about it. Especially if there's an "easy fix".

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
GM redesigned the cam bearings a long time ago and went with a teflon coated bearing. That should be a long term fix if that's the only issue.