NO truck yet - NJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The federal mandate was definitely 96 however I think it's safe to say some were installed in 95. GM did the 1.5 thing and that's a topic for another day i think.

MNZ71

Reaction score
All 95's were obd1. They switched to obd2 in 96 when they went to the vortech engine.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Federal mandate was '96.

However, there are a few oddballs out there. My buddy has 95' (says so right on the door sticker) ECLB Z71 w/the 5.7 Vortec and OBD II. Yes it is factory, but it was made in December.

But I don't think you'd find a early January made 96' running OBDI, as technically that'd be illegal and would've landed GM in a lot of hot water.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Federal mandate was '96.

However, there are a few oddballs out there. My buddy has 95' (says so right on the door sticker) ECLB Z71 w/the 5.7 Vortec and OBD II. Yes it is factory, but it was made in December.

But I don't think you'd find a early January made 96' running OBDI, as technically that'd be illegal and would've landed GM in a lot of hot water.

Automakers start the new model year vehicles around august-september so that they are on the dealer lots by December. So some 96 model year vehicles would have a late 95 build date. That's not oddball, it just takes time for them to work through the system.....

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Federal mandate was '96.

VIN will tell you the actual model year. Door sticker is a bit of a shot in the dark.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
VIN will tell you the actual model year. Door sticker is a bit of a shot in the dark.

No the door sticker tells you the actual month an year it was built, anything with a late build date will be the next model year. A truck built 10/96 would be titled as an subject to the emission rules of the 97 model year. You are right that the Vin will give you the model year but you can also figure it out off the door sticker...

Not sure where the break is for gm an it probably differs by plant as well, I'm just using that as an example...

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Welcome and good luck with your search!

Sent from what is likely a government flagged smartphone. Tyler/T-Unit