No reverse after driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok... so I couldn’t wait until this weekend cause it was bugging me. I went ahead and did a filter change on the trans and it only drained 4 quarts. I don’t have the equipment to do a full flush so I figure if it holds up, I’ll ride it around for a month or so and do another filter change. The fluid was grey... more dark grey than light but still had some pink in it. The bottom of the pan had a light grey thin slime build up and the magnet had quite a bit more of the grey slime... maybe 1/8” thick. I noticed some small... maybe 1/32” - 1/16” size metal pieces and a few small metal shavings no longer than 3/8”. Nothing really big and nothing that I could place. Test drove afterward and it drove as good as it ever did before. I’m sure there is something failing, but I’m not sure what. The fluid has more of a metal smell and grey color than the burned brown fluid smell you get from old friction plates. I’m gonna venture out to work tomorrow and see what happens. I’ve got the feeling this may have been an issue before as that pan looked like it had been off before... maybe it’s just a matter of the last trans filter/flush before I bought the truck filled it with new fluid that is cleaning the inside of the trans and now all the gunked-up **** that sat for 10 years is starting to break loose?

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoJo2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this before? If so, how long did your trans last before rebuild was required?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the equipment to do a full flush
What "equipment" do you need?

I use a temporary trans cooler tube that fits into the cooler "outlet" port in place of the tube that would bring fluid from the cooler back to the transmission. The other end of the temporary tube just dumps into a drain pan.

Change filter, clean pan. Install pan with gasket, add 5 qts new fluid. Open another five quarts, and have some more "standing by".

Start engine. Begin dumping more fluid down the dipstick tube. Old fluid is squirted into drain pan--watch the color.

When the fluid squirting in the drain pan looks "clean and new", shut off engine, re-connect the cooler-to-trans tube, start engine and top-off fluid as needed. Trans and cooler have just been flushed. Drink a beer to celebrate.