No power during take off. HELP!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy has a 1993 Chevy 1500 2wd 5 speed with the 4.3 with 250,000 miles. We tried numerous things to fix this problem. New maf sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump, re timing, tune up, catylic converter. And nothing seems to help. When the truck is cold it wont take off it will spit and spudder all the way somtimes so bad you cant make it up hills or even idle. It will start no problem but the idle will pick up and go down so low it almost stalls. Once its warm it seems to go away, until you start it again even when its warm it does after you shut it down and restart. He's had numerous mechanics put it on their computers and they pull nothing, the check engine light isnt on. Two mechanics have said the cam is going bad. But wouldn't the cam do it all the time? What is the problem with this truck?
Thanks.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldt think it would be that but the check engine light isnt on. Wouldnt it be on?

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should but I have had many older chevys that ran like ass and never threw codes even when sensors went dead.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea the older single wire sensors are like 20 bucks max. With that many miles it wouldnt hurt to change it anyways. That is part of my first tune up when I buy an old vehicle.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best words of wisdom, "It was recently replaced" is not sufficent to rule something out. There is a strong chance I am wrong. What harm comes from checking it out? I never leave any option unexplored. You will end up bringing it to a mechanic and that one thing you didnt check is what will be wrong.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
exactly what i told him. Hes just throwing money at it now not solving any problems either.