No fuel to cylinders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
98 tahoe has spark and fuel to the pressure valve on the rail. But no fuel to the cylinders. Issue is somewhere between the pressure valve on the fuel rail and the cylinders. Tried pouring gas down the throttle bottle, nothing. Could the spider injectors be that clogged?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98 tahoe has spark and fuel to the pressure valve on the rail.
HOW do you know it "has spark"? What is your test protocol? Are you using a spark tester calibrated for HEI ignitions? Did you test several plug wires?

What is the fuel pressure?

Tried pouring gas down the throttle bottle, nothing. Could the spider injectors be that clogged?
If you poured gasoline down the throttle body, and it still doesn't run..."clogged injectors" aren't the only problem.

Consider pulling the spark plugs and running a cranking compression test. Inspect the plugs for fouling and wear while they're out. Having spark "to" the spark plugs is not the same as having spark across the spark plug gap.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOW do you know it "has spark"? What is your test protocol? Are you using a spark tester calibrated for HEI ignitions? Did you test several plug wires?

If you poured gasoline down the throttle body, and it still doesn't run..."clogged injectors" aren't the only problem.

Consider pulling the spark plugs and running a cranking compression test. Inspect the plugs for fouling and wear while they're out. Having spark "to" the spark plugs is not the same as having spark across the spark plug gap.

Fuel pressure is 60 prime 40 cranking and then it bleeds down to 10? Plugs good as well as compression. Just that the plugs are dry.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel pressure is 60 prime 40 cranking and then it bleeds down to 10? Plugs good as well as compression. Just that the plugs are dry.
If you pour fuel down the throttle body and it doesn't even attempt to fire... you have an ignition problem or engine mechanical issue too. Your fuel pressure should never be below about 55, even when cranking. Spiders might be messed up, or regulator issue, or fuel pump/filter/lines. You need to do more troubleshooting to narrow it down.

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you pour fuel down the throttle body and it doesn't even attempt to fire... you have an ignition problem or engine mechanical issue too. Your fuel pressure should never be below about 55, even when cranking. Spiders might be messed up, or regulator issue, or fuel pump/filter/lines. You need to do more troubleshooting to narrow it down.
Agreed. I got excited when i got the security light to go off, I had spark and fuel. I'm going double check the grounds and the fuel pump relay.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried pouring gas down the throttle bottle, nothing

Liquid gasoline doesn't burn. The vaporized fumes do. The only thing you're doing pouring liquid down the throttle body, into the intake, and into the cylinders, is risking hydrolocking the engine. Don't do that again. Use starting fluid instead.

Have you hooked up a scanner and pulled codes?
What is the cranking RPM on the datastream?

jce98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Liquid gasoline doesn't burn. The vaporized fumes do. The only thing you're doing pouring liquid down the throttle body, into the intake, and into the cylinders, is risking hydrolocking the engine. Don't do that again. Use starting fluid instead.

Have you hooked up a scanner and pulled codes?
What is the cranking RPM on the datastream?
Actually I hit it with a quick shot of starter fluid, as opposed to pouring gas. I have not hooked up a scanner yet, tach does bounce slightly. I did replace the crank sensor.