No Brakes Lights Thread #172569

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98silveraydo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve tried going through the threads with no brake lights and couldn’t find what I was looking for. I have a 98 K1500 5.7 reg cab short bed.

Symptoms: Third brake light works, tail lights work, front turn signals hyper flash, rear turn signals do NOT work.

I have replaced the boards in the tail lights. My cruise control wasn’t working so my second go-to was my turn signal switch. Swapped that out, cruise control works again, brake lights still do not.

I noticed when I was doing the turn signal switch, when I was pulling it out through the top, one of the wires was still connected. When I looked at it, there’s a black wire coming from the switch soldered onto a brown wire running in the direction towards the driver’s door. Not sure where that goes to or what it was for. Does a head light switch have any control over the brake switch?

Thanks in advance.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headlight switch; Nope. Do you have power, with brake applied to taillights? Why did you change tailight boards? Hyper flash is because not enough load on flasher. Third brake light is separate from rear brake light circuit. No rear turn signal, no brake lights? Checked fuses? Check and clean rear ground wire on rear frame crossover. Or could be faulty brake switch. Rear turn signal is interrupted flashing brake light filament.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Tail lights work" suggests rear ground is OK. Have you checked the 4-wire connector at the rear? Maybe it has a trailer 4-flat that's corroded.