No Brake lights? 3rd brake light DOES work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So on my 97 Chevy 2500 I have no brake lights, running lights and turn signals work fine, the 3rd brake light works fine. I unplugged the trailer wiring just to test it, and still no brake lights. Just the 3rd brake light, signals and running lights.

Any ideas?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
there is a ground cable for the taillights somewhere between the spare and the rear bumper. When I took mine off doing the bodylift I forgot to hook it back up and had this issue.

Reaction score
Could be a broken wire between the brake switch or and the signal switch up on the steering column, or a faulty signal switch, if im not mistaken, the third brake bypasses the signal switch but brake light runs through it, signals and running light feed into the switch from other hot wires, maybe someone has a diagram they can put up for you

-1996 k1500 z71 SCSB, 6" lift with a 92 ve 6bt/nv4500/mutant np241 swap in the making
-2004 Silverado z71 ECSB, 2.5" pro comp keys with stock bolts, 5.3 with a superchip/cats with no muffler, built trans with shift kit

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've had to replace both of those POS tail light circuit boards within 3 days of each other. Might be something to check.