New member saying hello

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adrian

Reaction score
So I have two truck a 93 plow truck and then a 1988 that I was given a few months ago,
I also have a z28 camaro that I'm having problems getting registered so I will be removing the 406 I built and using this in the 88 truck.
I also plan on lowering the truck but have to find out how low I can go with out a notch in the frame...

Attachments

• IMG_20150618_131026.jpg
    IMG_20150618_131026.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150423_172731.jpg
    IMG_20150423_172731.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20150408_191721.jpg
    IMG_20150408_191721.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 11

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Welcome!
2/4 is about as low as you can go without a 'C'-notch.
You could 2/5 (so that the truck sits level fr-rr) utilizing SUV hangers for that additional inch, but that'd be really pushing it. You might/probably still be looking at notching the box cross-member with the 5" rear drop. I'd recommend shock extenders with the 5", too.
After all that, don't do the 2/4! I have 2 RCSB GMT400's. one @ 4/7 (sig) & the other @ 2/4.
Never, ever, ever will I do another 2/4! Wouldn't even consider it.
Not only is it just not low enough, but the rest of the BS that goes along with the install was just not worth the final outcome!
A 4/6 drop kit (DJM!) along with some good shocks (Belltech Street Performers!) is so much more satisfying in the long run.

Adrian

Reaction score
Hi sewlow and thanks for the reply, i am kind of stuck when it comes to how low I can go as I live in British Columbia these days.. and as far as I know in BC notching any frame would be illegal on the road so a 2/4 drop it is :)

just noticed you also live in BC so do you know if its true about notching the frame?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Didn't realize you're in Canada! (Old & 1/2 blind, here! Lol!) And, in B.C., too! Yay!
My '98's had the frame notched for years. Been inspected (harassed!) by the CVSE more than once. Lots more! Those guys are RCMP with extensive vehicular knowledge. And a gun! And a truck full of tools, right there with him! Not the ordinary average everyday officer!
First time I almost ran that guy in the orange overalls over, when he jumped out from between two dump-trucks & hollered at me to pull over. Was about to flip him off & hammer down, along with a big "F.U. Get off the road, idiot!", when I saw that 'RCMP/GRC' shoulder patch! (oops!) Guess that earned me a spot on their list. And over an hour on the side of the road, that first time!
One of things that they've checked when I had the Belltech bolt-in notch, was the inside corners of the notch itself. First time, I asked why. According to them, that's where the notches have a tendency to develop cracks. I'd never heard of nor seen that in the 10 years I've been messing with these trucks. I don't argue the point, though.
Other things they've checked is inner fender lip to tire clearances. My '98's had them rolled, so no prob! My '97's have been cut. They're kinda sharp, but they clear! The cops do appreciate that I tell them that before they stick their fingers in there! But if the guy is a real dork, I don't bother. Live & learn. Consequences go along with the harassment!
The LCA rain gutters on both trucks have been shaved. They've seen that. No concern to them. They don't care!
More than one has complimented me on the work quality! (Yes!)
Fastorange, (Josh) is in William's Lake. His GMT400 was lowered (4/6) for way longer than mine. Don't recall him ever mentioning anything about the notch in his truck being a point of contention.
I did have one cop (power tripper!) order me to produce an inspection sheet, authorized & signed by a certified licensed mechanic. Basically a 'fix-it' ticket. Gave me 10 days to acquire that after which I had to bring the sheet & the vehicle to the nearest RCMP station. I know more than a few licensed mechanics. So that cost me a case of brewski's.
When I took that sheet to the front desk of the cop-shop, the Sarge there asked me why I was showing him that. After I told him, his response was that that ordinary average officer can't make that call. Not in his job description. Outside of his protocol. He doesn't have the certification to make that judgement. His 'knowledge' is not recognized. Beyond his pay grade.
The desk Sarge told me that the only thing that he can have any say about, when it comes to vehicles, is concerning the vehicle's lights, or any obvious lack of tire tread. They can't go any further than a perfunctory visual inspection. No crawling around under the vehicle.
Unless they are a certified mechanic, recognized by their employer as such, & working within the CVSE division, they can not make any judgement calls concerning a vehicle's roadworthiness. If they have to testify, their so-called mechanical knowledge means nada in court.
Any doubts about a vehicle's safety, then they have to call in CVSE.
That desk Sarge hardly glanced at the inspection sheet & never even looked at the truck. Told me to have a nice day!
One good thing about having that inspection sheet though. Whenever CVSE decides to look at the truck, I just hand them that. 2 minutes later, I'm on my way.
That is unless I've drawn the cop's attention in some other way to begin with, of course! Lol!

Adrian

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the welcome. :)

OK thanks sewlow spoke to the person at work today who does the out of province inspection and he said he would not pass a c notch chassis. And the thing is things are going to change in BC with the fact that ever car will be tested in BC every four years not sure when this is starting but makes me wonder if its a good idea to do a c notch

Adrian

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

OK thanks sewlow spoke to the person at work today who does the out of province inspection and he said he would not pass a c notch chassis. And the thing is things are going to change in BC with the fact that ever car will be tested in BC every four years not sure when this is starting but makes me wonder if its a good idea to do a c notch