New GMC Grill, needs painting. What paint brand-rattle can?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a 98 GMC 1500, bought a used grill for it and it needs to be painted (the black part). It is speckled like when they have taken a lot of rocks. My question is what brand of paint and should I do Matte, semi-Gloss or Gloss? I am rattle canning it even though I have a 60 gal compressor...don't want to deal with the compressor. I bought some Rustoleum Semi-Gloss but I'm not sure that is the correct sheen. Should I go with Dupli-Color or maybe Krylon?

Pat

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Paint something with the same texture and see if you like it. Any decent name brand should give decent results, just avoid the cheap stuff. Everyone seems to have jumped on the plasti-dip stuff lately, might want to give it a look too.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
If your just doin black get krylon tough coat. We use it at work and it sticks to unsanded steel like it's no ones business. You take some scotchbrite or 320 over it first and you got a bulletproof paint job.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get duplicolor trim and bumper paint..its matte black that what I've done grilles in before..holds up good against bugs and other stuff that flies at you while your driving

Sent from my HUAWEI H881C using Tapatalk

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paint something with the same texture and see if you like it. Any decent name brand should give decent results, just avoid the cheap stuff. Everyone seems to have jumped on the plasti-dip stuff lately, might want to give it a look too.

Good idea, I could paint a part of the old grill. I know nothing about the plati-dip stuff. Thanks!

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your just doin black get krylon tough coat. We use it at work and it sticks to unsanded steel like it's no ones business. You take some scotchbrite or 320 over it first and you got a bulletproof paint job.

Thanks, I'll look for the Krylon...I just want it to be the right sheen. I'm going to wet sand it, that way I know it will stick, good!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plasti-dip is like paint but you can peel it off. Plenty of colors too. Lowes sells it. A bazzillion vids on youtube.

pitterpat

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use rustoleum

Thanks, I looked at the Rustoleum, I just didn't know if it was the correct sheen....hell, now that I think about it I think I did get the Rustoleum brand that is the satin...I'll look in the morning.