New engine knocking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a reman'd 350 engine with about 8k on it and about a week ago it started knocking at idle once shes warm. Usually only after shes really warm (freeway driving). Definitely from the top end. The oil looks clean on the dipstick. Any ideas? The only one I have is I put the intake on in the middle of winter and maybe the rtv didn't set right? But then I'd think the oil would be dirty or low

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
maybe post a videos of the noise, it could be a bunch of things

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E75NhJdGb28

It never starts to sputter or anything and I never have a loss of power. Just sounds real scarey at idle. All the head adjustments were supposed to have been done by the rebuilder. Also I found that the fan clutch seems to be a bit loose on the post? that bolts to water pump. It doesn't appear to wiggle while running though

Last edited:

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the torque converter bolts to the flex plate make sure they didnt loosen up,had that happen on a new 454 I put in my 68 Impala about 10 miles into its first run thought the rods were knocking.

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I unfortunately don't think its gonna be a simple thing like that guys. I did a oil change today and found glitter in the oil. Something isn't going right in there

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know audio sucks trying to diagnose noises online but that noise sounds too deep (tone) to be in the top end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
that sucks man, My buddy bought a rebuilt engine from Promar, and we put it in and it ran good for 20 minutes..... good luck on the warranty, Promar successfully didn't honor threres.