need help with getting a power programmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary98K1500

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting a programmer here in couple months, but I need help on which one to get. What programmer do you guys recommend that'll add hp, tq, mpg but also recalibrate upto 35" tires and 4.88 gears.

I have looked into the bb tune but I seen it's not recommended for vehicles that have excessively poor gas mileage. Didn't know their definition of excessively poor gas mileage, I have the P0420 code check engine light, I haven't checked what mpg I get with it on, but when I clear the code I get 11 mpg, that's with 35's an 3.73 gearing.

If anybody can help me out, it'd be appreciated

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
programmers are a waste of money. I have never heard of not being able to get a tune because of mpg, are you serious? I love my tune from waitforme. 12mpg summer and with constant 4x4 driving in winter its about 10 with the 454 and 4.10s.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I have looked into the bb tune but I seen it's not recommended for vehicles that have excessively poor gas mileage. Didn't know their definition of excessively poor gas mileage, I have the P0420 code check engine light, I haven't checked what mpg I get with it on, but when I clear the code I get 11 mpg, that's with 35's an 3.73 gearing.

The reason they say not for vehicles with poor gas mileage, is because they don't want you buying a tune for a vehicle that is not in good running order (IE has a check engine light on). If the vehicle getting tuned isn't running right, the tune could actually make the existing problems worse. Look into getting that code taken care of, and you should be fine. has a great rep for tuning these vehicles.

As stated before the handheld ones are a waste of money. But it's your call. Good Luck!

dman3626

Reaction score
Hello Gary. I'm new to the Forum but i've been reading a lot of posts on here recently which swayed me to get a tuner for my truck. Mine's a vortec 305 that i just tuned up and replaced nearly accessory/external part on the motor, even the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. I went with Black Bear Tuning. I got mine done yesterday since he was in town, only about 10 minutes from where i live. Justin did a wonderful job on "waking up" my little 305. It'll throw you back now which i honestly did not expect. Turns out my mass airflow sensor wasn't accounting for enough air i was getting. Now she's corrected and running fabulous, very strong with no detonation. Much better shifting strategy is icing on the cake! My 2 cents....go with a custom tune, no programmer. Former owner of 2 ford trucks, had a superchips in one and SCT X3 programmer in my 2010 screw. Neither made as much of a difference on the Black Bear Tune. Good luck.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
That P0420 is a cat efficiency code, right? The tune will actually fix that, just have the rear O2s tuned out. You will still pass inspection, he just tricks the PCM into thinking there's working O2s there. I'm running a BB tune and love it. Had my rear O2s, knock sensors, and EGR tuned out. When I send it back to adjust for the new cam I'm having the canister purge removed as well.

VorTecxas

American Nightmare
Reaction score
Hello Gary. I'm new to the Forum but i've been reading a lot of posts on here recently which swayed me to get a tuner for my truck. Mine's a vortec 305 that i just tuned up and replaced nearly accessory/external part on the motor, even the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. I went with Black Bear Tuning. I got mine done yesterday since he was in town, only about 10 minutes from where i live. Justin did a wonderful job on "waking up" my little 305. It'll throw you back now which i honestly did not expect. Turns out my mass airflow sensor wasn't accounting for enough air i was getting. Now she's corrected and running fabulous, very strong with no detonation. Much better shifting strategy is icing on the cake! My 2 cents....go with a custom tune, no programmer. Former owner of 2 ford trucks, had a superchips in one and SCT X3 programmer in my 2010 screw. Neither made as much of a difference on the Black Bear Tune. Good luck.

I guess you're in the Ft. Worth area? I just saw that he was here this weekend and I missed him. Grrr. Looks like I'm making a trip to San Antonio in March