need advice on exhaust redo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EDGECRUSHER

Reaction score
I need some advice on the direction to take with the exhaust on my 92 with a 5.7.
I've had the truck parked for a bit because it needs a lot of work and I'm just now starting to get some moola to work with. I'll be replacing the motor, exhaust and tires soon. I'm thinking of starting with the exhaust since that is the biggest problem. I'm very able to do the work and even weld.

As it sits the exhaust is completely rotted out. It had a dual muffler (no cat) exhaust going out to the bumper with two pipes, I'd say 2.5"? Mufflers were positioned right in front of axle and it has stock manifold with the big "Y" pipe which I believe is stock and in good shape.

My plan for the truck is to return is to 100% good mechanical condition - generally stock but with mild upgrades where they don't cut into the budget too much. Honestly, I'm contemplating a few things but I'm not sure if they would be worth it or if I'd even pick the right combination to put together which is where I need your advice.
- budget minded long-tube header (ie. Summit brand)?
-2.5" or 3" pipe?
- keep the Y-pipe?
- what style/brand muffler(s) for a deep tone but tolerable highway performance.
- will I save any money or gain quality if I buy mufflers and just take it to a muffler shop to have it installed with new pipes or buy a kit and assemble it myself?

thanks for any insight you can share

sierra97

Reaction score
-i read on here somewhere that longtube headers are more benificial for racing or high rpm, shorties work well for stock trucks or highway running, but if your entire exhaust is shot, then its whatever you perfer really.
- i got my exhaust bent up from the manifolds back on my 97 350 vortec, i kept it 2.5" front to exit with 3 inch tips, depends once again on what you want, mine crackles when you lean into it hard, so if you want more of a suddle hollow tone, go 3 inch
- my set up is all true dual stainless steel (live up in canada, lots of salt), my set up is true dual, no y or h pipe, i find it gives it more of a muscle sound, you can heard the cylinders "popping away" so to speak with a true dual set up, y pipe makes it less aggressive i find
- im running super 44 flowmaster mufflers with high flow cats, cool dual exited infront of the tail lights, i cant complain for noise in the cab (extended cab short box, might be different in a regular cab) gives great hwy performance, gained a mpg or 2 id like to think
- i hade mine bent up at a shop over the course of 2 years, total was $1600 canadian (keep in mind its stainless front to back, and the mufflers were pricey),this is pretty expensive but i found it worth it
- more than likely, if you can do it yourself and want to save some money, do it yourself, generally thats the cheaper route 9 times outta 10
- i find the quality of a good custom muffler shop better then any self essembled kit thou****

EDGECRUSHER

Reaction score
good advice thank you. I live on the west side of michigan so I get a ton of salt too. Just not sure this old girl is worth SS though. Is there any reason why I might want to run Cats. No laws about having them here. Seems it would be better with out.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long do you plan on keeping the truck? How often do you want to re-do the exhaust?

SS will last a long time. Mild steel/Aluminized piping will fail in the salt belt.

I would suggest running cats.

Cats are good for the environment and good for your exhaust components. One of the jobs of a catalytic converter is to convert Hydrocarbons (un-burned fuel) into carbon dioxide and water. If you don't take care of the hydrocarbons with a cat they can cause damage to other exhaust components causing them to fail sooner. The hyrocarbon will burn out a chambered muffler much faster and they also cause deposits on fiberglass/packing material which reduces it's sound detention effectiveness.

You can find some high flow cats out there for a good price.

http://performance-curve.com/3thunderboltmetalliccatalyticconverter415300.aspx

But if you are going to run cheap-o mufflers that you don't mind replacing every few years then it really doesn't matter.

sierra97

Reaction score
was gonna say the same thing as GMredline, run cats, and i questioned the same thing, weather ss was worth it, in my books it is, this exhaust should last 5 or more years, worth the extra coin in my eyes

EDGECRUSHER

Reaction score
Well I'm gonna put a crate engine in and redo the suspension so I think I should have it for a good long time. Body isn't bad either. I don't really drive it in the winter, but I'd like too. Just can't put it through that salt. It's pretty much been a delivery truck for when I go to the hardware store. It's 35 miles on way to work so I don't use it as a DD. I think I'll just go with the bare minimum for now. If I end up fixing it up the way I'd like maybe I'll replace it with SS then...