Mysterious wires and engine grounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '90 Chevy 1500 with the 350 and have been working on getting it running better for the past few weeks. I noticed there was a single wire connector with a purple wire hanging around my distributor but I couldn't see any place it would plug into. It looks like the same connector as my single wire O2 sensor...but I only have the one on the driver's side. It looks like it hasn't been plugged in for a long time, so I'm hoping it is just an unused connector that goes to something my truck doesn't have? Picture below.

Also, right beneath where my heater hoses go into the heater core, there are two metal ground straps bolted to the truck but they are both broken. Where are these supposed to bolt to?

Finally, underneath my truck I found another broken off ground/wire near my starter. Any idea what is supposed to be grounded there?

You must be registered for see images attach

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
That looks a lot like an O2 sensor but i dont have dual sensors so i'm not sure.

For the straps, one goes from the frame to the firewall and the other goes from the firewall to the back of the block.

I'm not sure about the starter ground i would have to look at mine.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I have a '90 Chevy 1500 with the 350 and have been working on getting it running better for the past few weeks. I noticed there was a single wire connector with a purple wire hanging around my distributor but I couldn't see any place it would plug into. It looks like the same connector as my single wire O2 sensor...but I only have the one on the driver's side. It looks like it hasn't been plugged in for a long time, so I'm hoping it is just an unused connector that goes to something my truck doesn't have? Picture below.

Also, right beneath where my heater hoses go into the heater core, there are two metal ground straps bolted to the truck but they are both broken. Where are these supposed to bolt to?

Finally, underneath my truck I found another broken off ground/wire near my starter. Any idea what is supposed to be grounded there?

You must be registered for see images attach
pretty sure thats a tach signal wire, that they didnt use.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My tach signal wire is on my ignition coil I believe. I have a single space connector coming off of it that isn't connected to anything. I went ahead and replaced the ground straps in question though, not yet sure what that will end up doing.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
I looked on my 89 C1500 350 and couldn't find that one, but it does look like my O2 with connector and purple wire.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using 300 Baud Modem.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is so weird. Why would I possibly have a second o2 connector when there is definitely no o2 sensor on that side? Lol.

supermailman

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even weirder is that I'm getting 10.3 volts there key on engine off once I'm able to make a good connection with my meter. I'll have to look at it again once it's light outside.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 90 Sierra with the 350. I do not have a tach in my truck. I also do not have that wire that you are showing. So it might be for a tach. It does look like an O2 sensor wire but in my 90 I only have the one O2 sensor. Thought I'd just mention that I don't have a tach nor that wire.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
My dad's 89 GMC 5.7 has that exact same wire, also not connected to anything