my radiator cooling fan... normal or not??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10ac

Reaction score
when i start my truck... the fan sounds like a turbine engine running. it runs like that for a while. maybe 15 20 min. and even when its warmed up and i turn it off when it finally stops running...it does the same. i feel like its bad. its sucking the power out of my truck! if its bad.... maybe if anyone has one laying around they dont need...pls help me out till i put an electric fan on. thx yall.

10ac

Reaction score
thanks. i didnt think it was normal. i had people say it was. im gonna do the efan soon, but for now i wanna get this working for now.

skills4lou

Reaction score
New clutch for the fan comes in two varieties: standard and HD. Last one I bought was ~$50. Pretty easy to swap out. Take a wrench and loosen, but don't remove the bolts/nuts before you remove the accessory drive belt. Makes it much easier to get 'em broke loose.

It does take the clutch a little time to warm up before it'll loosen up enough to let go. When warm, watch the fan while you have someone shut the truck off. The fan should continue to spin for a bit, you'll be able to tell.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get the standard variety. I had a clutch fan go bad and my mechanic decided to put the heavy duty one on with out asking. It sounded like a jet taking off if I jumped on the throttle and reved it anywhere near 3k RPM! I also knew that it was hurting my power and mileage. I ended up paying to have him put a standard duty one back on... That was back before I joined this forum and knew about the possibility of an E-fan. I would have put an E-fan in in a heartbeat... Now if I do an E-fan I'll have 2 lightly used fan clutches that I don't have a use for! haha. I'd sell you my heavy duty one if you want :)

10ac

Reaction score
so anyways...i found another fan clutch used. thanks for everyones help. im switching to efan very soon tho for sure.