My new 1996 k2500 eclb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SH98GMC

Reaction score
What might also help with your mileage problem is synthetic oils if you're not already doing so. Nothing wrong with reducing friction in the engine! 14 isn't bad for a big truck like yours! I think the best I could get out of my half ton was around 17 or 18, but that's all highway! I'm running 3.73s so I think once you get that gear swap going you'll be golden. Since my truck doesn't really haul much I would much rather the 3.42s, but it's fun to peel out in front of the seniors' homes once in a while lol

As for the stock system, since I dropped that filter in last year, I had no thoughts what so ever about ever spending money on cold air, because like you said it's drawing air from the fender and it's shielded from the heat of the engine. I've had thoughts about making a straighter pipe out of PVC or something. Would be really cheap!
I might do that throttle body mod once it warms up, I never really thought about that!

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
that made a world of difference looks awesome man

Thanks!

What might also help with your mileage problem is synthetic oils if you're not already doing so. Nothing wrong with reducing friction in the engine! 14 isn't bad for a big truck like yours! I think the best I could get out of my half ton was around 17 or 18, but that's all highway! I'm running 3.73s so I think once you get that gear swap going you'll be golden. Since my truck doesn't really haul much I would much rather the 3.42s, but it's fun to peel out in front of the seniors' homes once in a while lol

As for the stock system, since I dropped that filter in last year, I had no thoughts what so ever about ever spending money on cold air, because like you said it's drawing air from the fender and it's shielded from the heat of the engine. I've had thoughts about making a straighter pipe out of PVC or something. Would be really cheap!
I might do that throttle body mod once it warms up, I never really thought about that!

Haven't gone synthetic yet but I was planning on doing it for the next oil change. My old RCLB K1500 (5.7 vortec/auto, 3.42s, stock), would get close to 21 on the highway. Around 17-19 in rural driving. I think a combo of 285s and 3.73s will be excellent for my truck. Hoping to get closer to what my old half ton did. Like you say though, there are guys with V6 half tons getting worse mileage than I am, so I shouldn't complain. I would like to see 16 with it if possible.
I'm thinking about doing the same pipe mod as you are. Cheap and easy and might gain a little power and mileage. Nothing extraordinary, but every little bit, when combined, adds up quick.

And I'd recommend the throttle blade mod to anybody. Super easy, quick, and doesn't cost anything.

hawkeyez71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a tube at a pull a part no idea what its from but it looks just like the stock tube minus the air silencer. I think it helps a very small amount but like you said every little bit helps.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it's cold and windy out (calling for around -40 tonight, feels close to that now), but I got a little done to the rig.
"Colourmatched" fenders off parts truck and replaced the hood. This hood isn't in any better shape than my old one (has rust on the front as you can see, and dents/scratches) but at least it doesn't have that horrible cowl-induction piece of crap the PO had set-up for his idea of a cold air intake. Here's a before pic where you can see both the old fenders and hood:
That is some dedicaton to be doing any work outside in these temps and it is coming along great

You must be registered for see images attach
By any chance do any of your other parts trucks have the storage box for the second battery tray?

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
That is some dedicaton to be doing any work outside in these temps and it is coming along great

By any chance do any of your other parts trucks have the storage box for the second battery tray?

Thanks -- needless to say my hands were a little chilly when I was done haha.

And yes, I have one on my shelf in my shed I've just got random junk in. Not sure where the top is but I can probably find it. I know I have the top just not sure where I put it. Want it?

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Well I posted these over in another thread but I thought I'd throw them up here as progress. Getting my tailgate banner prepped up and ready for my gate.

Damaged before I got the banner. I'd say some idiot tried to remove it before me. You need to be patient when taking these things off.

Old heat gun borrowed from my grandfather, works like it's brand new

In progress, stripping the old backing off:

Backing cleaned off and ready for the double sided tape to mount it up

Should I paint the letters or leave it alone? It's in pretty rough shape but I don't care, a banner is better than no banner. It's what makes it a '400. If I can find a complete matching banner 'gate I'll grab it but this will work for now. Everybody wants like 50 bucks for a tailgate around here and mine is in perfect shape anyways so I don't really want to spend that kind of money on looks.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Thinking about going for the plain black impact strips and getting rid of (what's left of) the chrome topped ones. They are only left on the doors anyways so I don't have much to remove.
My old half ton with the black strips. (Damn, I forgot how good that truck looked when I bough 'er. Don't judge a truck by it's paint job boys).

And please, don't tell me to demold this truck. Some trucks can pull it off. This is not one of them :rofl:

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Painted the banner (my 12 year old Lab slept through the entire process, and it took awhile...)

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Just finished reading through the thread. Truck is looking great man. Just wondering if you have any plans for the cab lights on the parts truck? I have a harness but no lights themselves lol Same question about the mirrors well as long as they are manual ones that is..