My new 1996 k2500 eclb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
A couple pics of my (3rd) parts truck, just because. Taken just before snow.
You must be registered for see images attach

'96 Silv K2500 ECLB. I feel kind of bad parting it out as the frame is in pretty good shape, but it needs everything in the brake system except the master cylinder, a gas tank, fuel lines and fuel pump, transmission (already have, sitting in the back), rocker panels a bunch of bodywork. The interior is in really bad shape and the body is beat up bad, so I don't really think fixing it up makes sense.

Already took the headlight attachment brackets (I made that term up...but whatever), seats, some intake stuff, alternator, mirrors, plan on taking the chrome back bumper, possibly fenders, used one door going to use the other, offroad skid plates and probably the moulding (impact strips), might use the dash to convert mine from blue to grey.

I might also use the rear end which is a 4.10 like mine but with a factory G80. The truck has 329'000 kms but a newer motor was put in, and like I said I have a spare 4L80E tranny that came with it. So really it's the perfect parts truck for mine.

send it my way please? i need a new truck

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
send it my way please? i need a new truck

Heh, if only the front brakes weren't seized solid. Had a 10 foot bar jammed in the rotor with me at close to 200 lbs sitting on it while my buddy pounded on the hub, rotor and caliper with an 8 pound sledge. Wouldn't budge. Can't even get the calipers off.

I'm sure I could put together a few GMT-400s with all the parts I've got though haha

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Heh, if only the front brakes weren't seized solid. Had a 10 foot bar jammed in the rotor with me at close to 200 lbs sitting on it while my buddy pounded on the hub, rotor and caliper with an 8 pound sledge. Wouldn't budge. Can't even get the calipers off.

just hook a strap to it and haul it down the road with junk tires on it itll free up or put a tranny in it and put it in 4 lo them 410s should break them free

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
just hook a strap to it and haul it down the road with junk tires on it itll free up or put a tranny in it and put it in 4 lo them 410s should break them free

Yeah, that'd do it. Too much ice now to get traction to move it though. Trans works fine in the truck just no OD. But the front actuator is shot.

Sadly, I'm just going to strip and scrap it. I feel bad but I don't have time for more junk in my life lol. Come get it and I'll give ya a deal haha

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Yeah, that'd do it. Too much ice now to get traction to move it though. Trans works fine in the truck just no OD. But the front actuator is shot.

Sadly, I'm just going to strip and scrap it. I feel bad but I don't have time for more junk in my life lol. Come get it and I'll give ya a deal haha

if it wasnt so far i would

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Made up a little updated mod wishlist. In order:

-Exhaust. Really want LT headers and brand new exhaust but I dunno, might just throw on some shorties, kill my cats, and stick on a couple flowmasters. Straight piped is great, but cops in town don't like it much

-E-fans. Haven't a clue what kind of a setup I'll go for. I'm sure I can rig something up, cheap.

-Better air intake. Anything less restrictive. I don't like all the bendyness of my current one.

-285's and/or 3.73s. Need less revs, period. 4.10 and 265s are too much gear. Never planning on going bigger than 33". Also some kind of rear locker. Even a G80 if I have to stoop that low. Anything would be better than open.

-Tune

-Tow mirrors and PYOs. Otherwise the truck will be returned to stock (impact strip moulding and a Chevy banner gate)

My target is to get 16 mpg out of this truck. Running about 14 now, up from 12.5. I don't think it will be that hard, any more would be a bonus. As for horsepower, meh. It's a big heavy truck.

This is after a couple small problems are addressed (rockers and some minor mechanical issues).

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Truck got some cosmetic work done today, but I had to stop as the pressure line for my water pump in the house froze, and by the time I was done fixing that it was too dark to finish. Around -15c today but the wind was blowing, not much fun.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Well it's cold and windy out (calling for around -40 tonight, feels close to that now), but I got a little done to the rig.
"Colourmatched" fenders off parts truck and replaced the hood. This hood isn't in any better shape than my old one (has rust on the front as you can see, and dents/scratches) but at least it doesn't have that horrible cowl-induction piece of crap the PO had set-up for his idea of a cold air intake. Here's a before pic where you can see both the old fenders and hood:

And after:

Everything mounts up considerably better with these fenders as the old ones were off a TBI truck and had no mounting holes/brackets for the air intake/everything on the driver's side (computer/abs, washer fluid tank/tool box, fuse box). Much happier with the way everything mounts up now. The fender flares are original to these blue fenders and fit better than on my old red fenders which didn't have the metal support on the inside.

All in all, cost me $0 and I'm very happy with the way the truck is looking. And yeah, I know about that bondo on the bed side, planning on painting the whole box in the spring. Thinking about finding a bug-guard to cover up that rust on the hood for the time being. I'm not a fan of them but it would look better than rust, as it's too cold to do bodywork now.

SH98GMC

Reaction score
Happy to see that the truck found a better owner. She's lookin' a lot healthier then she was haha.. If you weren't aware, the stock intake is fine and not very restrictive. They use the same one on the 454 vortecs so it should be good enough for a 350. I personally just run the stock with a drop in K&N. Bonus is that you're not sucking up any hot under hood air or spending money on a useless chrome tube..

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Happy to see that the truck found a better owner. She's lookin' a lot healthier then she was haha.. If you weren't aware, the stock intake is fine and not very restrictive. They use the same one on the 454 vortecs so it should be good enough for a 350. I personally just run the stock with a drop in K&N. Bonus is that you're not sucking up any hot under hood air or spending money on a useless chrome tube..

Thanks for the compliment, much appreciated! It certainly wasn't in good shape when I bought it, the pictures I initially took make it look better than it was. Still have a really long way to go but I'm starting to like the truck.
When I bought it I was getting around 21.4 L/100km (11 or so mpg) and after a better filter, stock intake, straight pipes, an extensive cleaning of my throttle body and modified throttle plate, I've upped that to around 17 L/100km (14 mpg). Also did a full tune-up while I was working on it.
The mileage is bearable at least but I still want better. I certainly have more power than before but I haven't had it on a dyno to know for sure. More than enough to do what I need it to.

I agree that the stock intake isn't bad. The only thing I wouldn't mind is having a slightly straighter tube, it droops down before it turns and if I could make something a little straighter I'd be a bit happier, but you are right, stock intakes are underrated. All this "Cold Air Intake" talk makes me laugh: how do you think your current system works....it sucks cold air from the fender.