my 98 stepside project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I shared these pics on Facebook on Common Treads Magazines page.. a lot of good reviews, and the flex plate gusset for a lot of people wasn't good enough. And even had several people nag that it's not a cantilever.. I started to argue the point I call it that because it's sold as a rear cantilever and has always been called a rear cantilever for as long as KP has been selling it. Also started to argue the point that the flex plate is just a gusset on a six inche overhang of 2x2 1/4 wall.. and the flex plate is the same thickness of the frame.. in all cases of newer vehicles, it's actually thicker. But then I said Fk it and just deleted the post all together. Y'all all know the rear of my frame is boxed in with a 1/4 wall 4x4.. I attached a 1/4 wall 2x2 completely across the 4x4 only hangs out six inches on each side with a perch welded on each side for the bars. A darn slide in hitch is only a 1/4 wall 2x2... Only held by a pin... Longer than six inches.. and no gusset. Yet is rated for double the vehicles weight and up.. How is it even possible that same material, less overhang, with a gusset.. wouldn't be trustworthy?????? Seriously? The KP bolt on kit is not even 1/4.. just the bars are. I'll never understand the reasoning of 90% of the people in the "bagged" world.. Everything not done by a shop HAS to be 1/4 thick and overkilled to the MaX.. and everything done by an expensive shop is 3/16 but has dimple die holes in it or No gussets and everyone is pleased. Everyone is quick to judge these days.. Look at the suspension on your trucks, the factory suspension.. it's ALL 3/16 or thinner.. Look at the suspension on newer vehicles.. even thinner. Look at any vehicle made, any size, two wheel drive, four wheel drive.. Look at the link bars on the rear.. it's rolled over sheet metal. Not even welded.. just rolled into a tube with stamped ends. The frame of any newer vehicle is thinner than ours. They can't even support the vehicles weight on a jack without bending the frame. really annoys me... Anything you buy that's bag related that's pre fabricated, bag mounts, most notches, gussets, tabs.. Anything.. it's 90% of the time 3/16 material. You can get pre made notches made of 1/4 wall.. you can also get 1/4 thick tabs... It's still being attached to a 3/16 frame.. even if you did a stock floor body drop and build the rest of the frame from 1/4 wall 2x4... Your still attaching it to the front that's only 3/16.. You buy a drop hitch, granted it's a 1/4 wall 4x4 and has a 1/4 plate at each end to attach to your still only 3/16 frame.. nobody second guesses it's capabilities. Just shove in a foot of 2x2 with a ball bolted to it and haul anything without a doubt... Idunno.. sorry to rant. Just annoyed..Lol Seriously about tired of posting pics on anything anymore.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
Ditto on metal tanks! My first tiny viair tank pump combo was metal and after a year I took it out and I swear it must have been half full of water and it was so nasty rusty colored water! I switched to my aluminum tank and after a year poured it out and clear water came out of it ;) never wanting metal again for the tanks!

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have me thinking. If the frame was boxed could it be possible to use it as an air tank and have enough capacity?

If you arent airing up and down all the time it might barely work, but I wouldnt do it. There small tanks available that would work way better.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I shared these pics on Facebook on Common Treads Magazines page.. a lot of good reviews, and the flex plate gusset for a lot of people wasn't good enough. And even had several people nag that it's not a cantilever.. I started to argue the point I call it that because it's sold as a rear cantilever and has always been called a rear cantilever for as long as KP has been selling it. Also started to argue the point that the flex plate is just a gusset on a six inche overhang of 2x2 1/4 wall.. and the flex plate is the same thickness of the frame.. in all cases of newer vehicles, it's actually thicker. But then I said Fk it and just deleted the post all together. Y'all all know the rear of my frame is boxed in with a 1/4 wall 4x4.. I attached a 1/4 wall 2x2 completely across the 4x4 only hangs out six inches on each side with a perch welded on each side for the bars. A darn slide in hitch is only a 1/4 wall 2x2... Only held by a pin... Longer than six inches.. and no gusset. Yet is rated for double the vehicles weight and up.. How is it even possible that same material, less overhang, with a gusset.. wouldn't be trustworthy?????? Seriously? The KP bolt on kit is not even 1/4.. just the bars are. I'll never understand the reasoning of 90% of the people in the "bagged" world.. Everything not done by a shop HAS to be 1/4 thick and overkilled to the MaX.. and everything done by an expensive shop is 3/16 but has dimple die holes in it or No gussets and everyone is pleased. Everyone is quick to judge these days.. Look at the suspension on your trucks, the factory suspension.. it's ALL 3/16 or thinner.. Look at the suspension on newer vehicles.. even thinner. Look at any vehicle made, any size, two wheel drive, four wheel drive.. Look at the link bars on the rear.. it's rolled over sheet metal. Not even welded.. just rolled into a tube with stamped ends. The frame of any newer vehicle is thinner than ours. They can't even support the vehicles weight on a jack without bending the frame. really annoys me... Anything you buy that's bag related that's pre fabricated, bag mounts, most notches, gussets, tabs.. Anything.. it's 90% of the time 3/16 material. You can get pre made notches made of 1/4 wall.. you can also get 1/4 thick tabs... It's still being attached to a 3/16 frame.. even if you did a stock floor body drop and build the rest of the frame from 1/4 wall 2x4... Your still attaching it to the front that's only 3/16.. You buy a drop hitch, granted it's a 1/4 wall 4x4 and has a 1/4 plate at each end to attach to your still only 3/16 frame.. nobody second guesses it's capabilities. Just shove in a foot of 2x2 with a ball bolted to it and haul anything without a doubt... Idunno.. sorry to rant. Just annoyed..Lol Seriously about tired of posting pics on anything anymore.
I like it and it's different, people of social media are quick to rip apart another persons project, but don't produce pics of their own supposedly better quality work. I have been to lot's of shows where folks walk around bashing rides and don't have a damn thing to show of their own. Don't feel alone about the pics either, I rarely post pics of progress of mine either, most don't give a damn anyway they just want to be internet thugs! We just have to keep on building these trucks for ourselves and to heck with the haters and users!

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most people trash other peoples work because they cant do that type of work themselves. What they have they either paid somebody to do are bought the thing already together and just claim they built it. Honestly most of the stuff out there that I have seen up close is cobbled together junk. They are the usually the first ones to come and try to pick yours apart or just run their mouths.

You have to build something the way you want it and not the way other people think it should be. I have always been into custom trucks and probably always will be, but after going to truck shows and being in the "scene" for a while I really don't have interest in it anymore.

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I got the lower bag mounts on the bars yesterday. It'll probably be sometime next week before I can get to the upper mounts. I'm really hoping it'll untuck the rear wheels...lol

Reaction score
Prime example of why it pi$$es me off... I'm ragged for a flex plate gusset.. this has same overhang, and just sticking off the side of frame with nothing..
You must be registered for see images attach

How about some non braced flat stock to hold control arms?? This is praised and deemed extremely safe and professional..
You must be registered for see images attach

Granted it was only a few azzes... But I know for darn sure my crap is a Heck of a lot more safe than this..

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
Prime example of you shouldn't give a dam what anybody else thinks!!!! If you like it awesome if you don't oh well.... You don't think it's safe then get the hell outta my way on the road lol
You ain't Fukng me feeding me or paying my fuking bills you can straight fukoff! Lol