Motor Locked Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoonSquad

Reaction score
So had this ticking sound didnt think much of it till it turned into a loud clunk when driving home then truck just shut off. Now it wont do jack when you go to turn it over it just thunks like a dead battery(which has a brand new battery) What are my options i have when comes to a motor? I just had my 460le built to the max less than 2k ago so i want to still run that. Im motor shopping now found a LS1 out of a 2002 ss that might be a option. What should i add to the motor if i get a 350 vortec again? Cam? Heads? Studs? Etc. Im not a motor guy just know some. Thanks

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
IMO, the newer generation of motors (LS1, 2, 5.3, 6.0, etc) can get you the most power and efficiency, but they do require some retrofitting and will cost a little more initially. For an easier install a rebuilt 350 or 383 will do just fine and can be built to make good power, its just more expensive to make the same power as an LS...what option do you think you'd prefer at this point?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well, what does your truck get used for? Reason I ask is because certain builds will be more tuned for certain driving conditions.

GoonSquad

Reaction score
i found a vortec 454 with everything for 1200. im leaning towards another vortec or a 383 actually just cause i know it would be easier. truck just get used on street mostly i do hual my boat (21 Sea Pro) and a little times hits the dirt heading to hunting spots no hardcore abuse or anything.

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
For you, I'd suggest a rebuild of your motor or have it stroked out to a 383...like you said, that would be easiest. Let us know what you decide and we can help you out with internals and such...

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Yeah, also that 454 vortec would have to be extremely low miles and be spotless internally to be worth near that much. The vortec heads on the 454 are the second worst heads for that engine, tbi being the worst. You need MUCH bigger heads to take advantage of that many cubic inches....but here's the reason they used the small heads: MPG :p

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
The vortec heads on the 454 are the second worst heads for that engine, tbi being the worst. You need MUCH bigger heads to take advantage of that many cubic inches....but here's the reason they used the small heads: MPG :p

what??? the L29 head is a darn good head in fact many 454ss guys swap that head onto their block, the problem with the vortec 454 is the piston dish.

now if you were changing pistons to a domed piston then a 049 head would be better suited, then again mkIV heads wont work on a gen 6

btw there are many builds making big power with the peanut port tbi head

Last edited: