Misfire Issues 98 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seanb98

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey folks, have a 98 Suburban in my shop right now, experiencing a misfire condition. Started out with a code for the number 6 cylinder. Pulled the pug out of that cylinder, was damp with fuel. Figured no spark, so went to the distributor next. Took off the cap and found quite a bit of corrosion under there. Replaced the cap and rotor. Seemed to clear up initially, but after a test drive noticed it was back to idling rough and this time threw a code for the number 7 cylinder.

This time around assumed it was the distributor itself that was the issue so replaced that and cleared the codes. Started it back up and there was no change to the issue, threw the same code immediately. Put a spark tester inline, and it was showing strong spark. Pulled the spark plug out of #7 and found it to be completely dry. Checked the compression on that cylinder just to make sure there weren't any major issues, came out at about 110 PSI. Kind of low, but not low enough for it to not be running.

Now I've got a fuel injection spider assembly on order. My line of reasoning is that initially it may have been overfueling #6 hence the wet plug and was starving #7 causing a misfire condition. Am I on the right track with this thing? Don't want to throw too many parts at it or have it taking up space in the shop for long. 190k miles.

Thanks

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The regulator might have a leak spraying fuel into the manifold. The new spider should take care of that.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Spider is the way I would go. I've seen a 96' with a starting issue leak fuel from the regulator and then finally after they kept cranking on it....Boom! Sounded like a shotgun going off, cracked the upper plenum in several spots and took a chunk out of the spider assembly!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk